Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we were gonna start the tail chop today...but found out everything is attached to the plastic tail I am trying to get rid of, the brake light is attached to that.
So I need to make brackets to hold the brake light the way Iamic did in the tail chop thread, and to those who have the license plate mounted below the brake light, did you make brackets for that, and did they attach the same place the brake light brackets attached to the bike??

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My husband is so afraid he's gonna cut and screw the whole bike up......

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you want to save yourself the hassle of creating your own brackets, I'd recommend using one of the pre-fabricated eliminator kits by Redline or Pro Italia.

Redline Kit

Pro Italia kit - I could only find the 900 kit. Anyone else have a link?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked that, too and could only find the 900 kit.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this that might help. My husband seems to think if we make it , it won't be right. If it's made FOR the Monster, then it will be right????????????? :p :-/ a turn signal relocator bracket

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I was searching Pro Italia's site earlier this week, looking for a kit for my 800. Couldn't find it, so I emailed them. Bill emailed me back saying they had them in stock. Just email or call them. Hope that helps!

H

·
0 Posts
I found this that might help. My husband seems to think if we make it , it won't be right. If it's made FOR the Monster, then it will be right????????????? :p :-/ a turn signal relocator bracket
I made all my brakets.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'd go ahead and get the Motowheels one. I had mine made out of steel and unless you're really anal retentive about measuring things and cutting stuff, it's not gonna look right. My tail-light bracket is an integrated license plate bracket. I had to fashion an additional turn-signal bracket out of aluminum to mount the signals. Unless you design it properly, it just won't look right. (just my own opinion) - this of course depends on how critical you are about your bike.

You seem to have put the $$ down for titanium cans so just get the one that's made for it already rather than adding "home-made" parts to your monster.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Deb...

My plate was custom fabricated, and looks great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I will be mounting the licence plate benaeath the tail light so I cut out the red lens following the ridge and glued a clear diffuser in place, to illuminate my plate with the tail light.

R

·
0 Posts
When I say the Subject. I was really afraid for you. This is a minimal set back. But the final cut is permanant. So I was worried. Order one of the kits. I like the Redline kit better from the pictures I have seen of both. The Pro Italia has a weird but effective angle which makes it hard to see the plate, but should keep some of the road water off your back.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, all is torn apart, it looks like we may be able to use this part of the license plate bracket as a turn signal relocator, coming up from underneath, looks to be perfect, with a little modification! and may even be able to attach the license plate onto that!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also , my stock bar ends will fit into the ends of the cut frame!!

C

·
0 Posts
Deb,

What Daffe said. It takes some time and tools to do it right. I'm not trying to scare you, but if your unsure maybe purchasing something is the better idea. It took me a while to make my brakets. I used galvanized steel with a grinder, sawzall, and bench vise to get it just right. In the picture below the bracket follows the frame back beyond the turn signal to flush out with the seat.

I also didn't cut my tail off as short as others. I wanted the frame to be "resolved" - that's a fancy design word that just means "thought through". I fabbed a flat bar matching the arc of the tail light to visually (and physically) join the chopped frame rails. To match the dark finish I used a two part rattle can finish: Flat black base coat with a mist of charcoal grey metallic.

This is a shot with the High mount Sils. I've since painted the tabs black. I think it's a nice clean chop.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jim, ALL pics are greatly appreciated, I think things are working out and all will work out fine. Getting everyones input is so helpful!!

C

·
0 Posts
Go for it! The satisfaction of doing a job yourself is priceless. Keep us updated!! ;)

jb

W

·
0 Posts
There are any number of ways to attach the tail light and blinkers. I made my own and would highly advise you save your money and DIY too. Just get creative, it will work.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, here is the tail light and license plate brackets, so far,
we did end up ordering the turn signal bracket from Motowheels... the other bracket we thought we could use didn't work out...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are not cutting till everything is finished and in place!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts