Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's what I did last weekend - time to break out the sawzall! It's tail chopping time!

Before:

After:

She's wounded. Not to worry though - a little squirt of Krylon flat black primer and some mountain bike bar-end caps will fix it right up. The tape is helpful to make sure that I keep things neat and even when I make that first cut - man does that feel goooood!!!

My homemade taillight mount. Total cost = $2

The finished product. Notice the Juan-inspired license plate mount. I used the frame tabs that the side covers used to mount to. As with the taillight bracket, this was made with 1" x 1/8" aluminum strip, Krylon flat black, a vise, rubber mallot, drill, grinder, file, sandpaper, and metric tap. Can you tell I like to use my tools? ;D

I am very happy with the project and I enjoyed the whole process immensely. I went with the typical chop and used the common LP flushmount signals in clear. I think this was originally done by Strati? Why mess with a good thing? I still need to devise some sort of light for the license plate so that I can at least appear as if I'm trying to abide by the law. I plan on getting a couple of white LEDs and inserting them through the undertray to keep it clean and simple. Here's my total cost for the project:

Taillight and license plate brackets = $2
LP flushmount signals = $17
Bullet electical connectors (for signals) = $2.50
Bar end caps = FREE

Total = $21.50
I'll put that down as a free mod in my book!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
awesome!!! looks great!

almost like mine!

D

·
0 Posts
Sweet tag mount. Can you post more pics, or a better description of how you mounted the tag?

Is the tag mount Legal? I have heard that it only has to be visible. I have even seen tags mounted upside down. But it looks like, at some point, you are just inviting a citation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Very nice job! I have the same tail light/turn signal combo. I was also thinking of moving the plate, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Nice job!

-dj

·
Registered
447 Posts
SWEET! How is the visibility of the flush mount signals? I rode behind someone with small turnsignals and I could not tell he was using them.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I like that plate in front of the tire, very clean look. I chopped my tail a while ago, but I've been thinking of pushing the plate out flush with the back of the taillight. With the plate tucked behind the light I get a decent amount of mud thrown up on my back in the rain. I'm wondering if just pushing it back out 3" would make much difference...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll post some more detailed pictures of the plate mounting soon. I have a strong feeling that LEOs will not find the plate locations to be exactly legal - we'll see. I'll leave it there as long as I can, because it does keep the bike looking a bit cleaner. I was told by some members of a group I rode with yesterday that both the plate and the flushmount signals are not very visible from behind. I may try to supplement the flushmounts with some amber LEDs somewhere - I'll have to see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice, clean installation. Don't you get hassled for the tags being so deep? I have been working on the tail chop and did my turn signals today. I kept the originals and installed them in the cut frame tubes 'cause I didn't know how to finish off the cut anyway. Take a look:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Very nice, clean installation. Don't you get hassled for the tags being so deep? I have been working on the tail chop and did my turn signals today. I kept the originals and installed them in the cut frame tubes 'cause I didn't know how to finish off the cut anyway. Take a look:

That looks great ! Good work with the blinker mount !

Skier

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Grate work iamic, I like it, it looks nice and clean. This is are pics of my new project. I will remove the turn signals and replace them with this little lights at the end of the tail chop

also, I have a light at the side of the L.Plate so it can be seen.,

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are a couple of really clever turn signal mounts on this post, thanks for the ideas guys.

Juan, where did you get those "bar end" lights for your tail? Those look more visible than the LP mounted to the side of the tail light.

D

·
0 Posts
Juan, does you license plate not hit the rear hugger when you hit a good bump?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
hey monstas4 thanks.
I got the amber lights at an auto show here in San francisco. They are distributed by United Pacific Industries, part # 10868. However, I wil be replacing the light bulbs that com with them for a set of LED's to improve brightness.

Duc-gusm, no the license plate dos not hit the huger, well, I removed the hugger some time ago, to give it a cleaner look ;D

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
K-Man, I really like the look of the aluminum frame ends that the turn signals attach to. Couple of questions for you though. Did you machine them up (looks fairly simple with a vertical mill) and how are they held in place in the frame? Are they press fit, threaded, glued or bolted in place? I didn't see any signs of a bolt head though. I'm thinking something like this might be just the ticket when I chop my tail sometime this winter. Cheers,
Hanns

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hanns,

Turned them out of aluminum, milled the recess with an angle of about 5 degrees to offset the angle in the subframe, and pressed into the frame about 3/4". There is a seam in the tube which helps in keeping them tight. I lucked out so I didn't need to Loctite them in!

You're like me, you got to get over winter by fiddling with the Duc!

·
Registered
198 Posts
K Man, do you have a picture of the finished product?

Nice chops guys. I'm buying a new hacksaw blade this week.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yep yep,

anything work on the frame is modifying the approved status of the factory bike,
and there fore is influencing to behaviour and performance to Your bike (if used in public roads).

So long story short, here in Europe, in some countries, even that tail chop is needed to be approved by authorities during inspection and can cause also a fine from police if so meant to be,

Skier

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Thankfully we here in the US don't have a full blown nanny government like Europe does. When you start modding your bike you should be smart enough to know that it might not handle like stock. For those people too stupid to understand this there's this nifty thing called natural selection. I wonder if some of those caring Euro polizei would pull you over and weigh you to see if you're over/under the 75 kilo rider weight the bike was designed for? Any variation in rider weight will affect handling characteristics far more than shaving a kilo or two of metal and plastic off the tail end. Considering that I weigh almost twice what the "designed" weight for a Monster is, it must be unsafe at any speed (to quote a famous Gov't nanny advocate). Come to think of it motorcycles are inherently dangerous and should be banned by benevolent governments before more people are hurt and killed. I guess I'll just have to take my chances wearing all black and trying to avoiding being squashed by Ford Excursions until then. Cheers,
Hanns

1 - 20 of 20 Posts