Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a tach. for my monster. Any suggestions on what I should get and where I should get it from? Should I just get the tach. or a whole new dash?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Hi -
I moved this to the Accessories & Mods section. Doesn't really belong in Gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
there are a few kits that come with tachometer and new dash to house both tacho and speedo.

One is carbon fiber Ducati Performance, but be warned that the idiot lights there are all but invisible, so riding in daylight you will not see your turn indicator and neutral lights. Oil and fuel lights are still somewhat visible.

Then there's a nice kit by RoadRacing (motostrano.com sells it), made of aluminum. It has nice legible lights.

There is also a kit that uses your stock base and adds digital LED tacho.

If I were to do it over again - I'd look for a stock unit on e-bay - it looks the best IMHO. I now have a Ducati Performance one that I hacked and added normal idiot lights. looks funky but very functional

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just bought the same dash pictured. I'd heard that there can be some problems with the LED tach dash.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've got a '96 M900 that I want to put a Tach in. Would the CF Ducati piece work or is that only for newer bikes? I really like the look of the dual analog gages. Makes the gage cluster look more balanced.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That Tach works with all M900's to 99.

T

·
0 Posts
Works is an over statement. All of a sudden my tach just like the one pictured died. I have heard of people having problems with them. But I can't say that I have tried to debug the thing at all. Hmmm. Maybe I will do that this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Regarding dim LEDs, I have not had any such problems with my DP analog tach. All indicators are clearly visible in daylight except where the frame of the windscreen blocks my view!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
How does the tach wire up? Is it just one hot wire from the distributor driving the tach with a common ground? Should be fairly simple but I'm used to old cars, not fancy Italian bikes.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Dealer told me it's a simple plug-in kit.

No FHE as kit was installed already on my 2200 mi. used Monster.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
BTW I saw a pic of someone who has that CF tach but added a row of independant idiot lights below it, anyone have that pic? It is a red monster...

I think it was either Chris Kelley, Moto, or a moderator........help me find that pic please!!

S

·
0 Posts
PO put on Roadracing tach and speedo. Can't post photos but I really like function and appearence. Lights up orange at night and has lites for neutral, sidestand down, headlite on, hi beams, low gas, oil psi, turn signal and they all work. And battery low lite

1 - 14 of 14 Posts