Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago i found a link to a page where a guy was installing Ducati Performance tacho kit on his Monster.I have bought a kit like it and i cant find the damn topic on here. I have searched for the topic/link for an hour now.So if someone can help me with the link to that page where all the tips and hints are i would be very greatful.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Try this one: http://www.geocities.com/srnelson_m900/duc_custom/tach_install.html

After I went to all the trouble to list the wire colors and where they went, I noticed that each wire had a little number on it and the holes for the lights had matching numbers. Be sure to leave out the light that tells you your headlight is on (whenever the key is on), so that the presense of a light will actually mean something useful.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed my tach last night and DAMN im glad i printed out the pages from Scotts pages about tach installment.The idiot lights on the new tach was marked with the numbers corresponding on the wiring,so then i put all the bulbs in the holes and tried them on. NOT A SINGLE LIGHT WAS CORRECT!!!! But when i followed the list Scott made it all turned out right...... ;D ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Sounds like it was worth the trouble to write all that down then.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How are the brightness of your warning lamps? I also just installed a DP tach kit and discovered something that will help make the bulbs brighter. If you noticed, the new fixture that you put the warning lamps into is a large chunk of black delrin (paint doesn't stick very well to it) with nothing more than black hollow tubes for the bulbs to reflect light. That's why they're so dim and one or more listers replaced the bulbs with aftermarket lamps and sockets.

I wanted to retain the original look and make the bulbs brighter. So I went to the hobby shop and bought some white hollow styrene tubing that's 3/8ths inch in diameter (which measures out to 9.5mm; the holes in the fixture are 9.7mm). With the bulbs installed and the face plate removed I inserted the styrene tube and marked it. Then I cut it just short of the mark so it wouldn't rub against the face. Then I just dropped them in. The little white tubes act as reflectors and it does improve the brightness.

Here's a couple of pics of the console installed. The first pic is with lights on; second one with them off. Pay particular attention to the sidestand, oil and neutral lights. The pics were taken in direct sunlight.

Hope this is of use to others and if anybody has any questions fire away.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
How is the brightness of my warning lamps?

Great at night. Terrible in direct sunlight. I usually had to shade the unit to check if the fuel warning light was on. If my unit were not smashed, I would be tempted to take it apart and try the fix shown in the photos.

·
Registered
400 Posts
MIKE D YOU SUCK. Now I want one. Got the part number??

;D Chris
Er...the tach kit? That's 96501200A. BTW, the shipment arrived and I just love the Napolean mirrors. Nice and clear compared to stock plus I actually get to see what's behind me. The rest of the stuff will be going on over the next 6 weeks. Gettin' ready for Daytona! ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
MIKE D YOU SUCK. Now I want one. Got the part number??

;D Chris
You could have had mine for free when you picked up the other parts from my Monster. I think I saved most of the pieces so that you could glue them back together. ;)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strange.........the plastic part where the warning lamps are fitted on my kit is white. So the warning lamps on my M900 is very bright.The whole triangle shaped plastic part is in white plastic and not in black as shown above. So i dont need to do that modding with the white plastic tubing ;D ;D ;D But the numbers on the warning lamp holes were COMPLETELY wrong,not a single warning lamp was correct!! But with Scotts list i got it all right :) :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Strange.........the plastic part where the warning lamps are fitted on my kit is white. So the warning lamps on my M900 is very bright.The whole triangle shaped plastic part is in white plastic and not in black as shown above. So i dont need to do that modding with the white plastic tubing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts