Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting on all the new stuff on my bike, the tach stopped working. No idea why. Any help

2001 M750. Don't think it has a tach cable but could be wrong.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New bar end turn signals, carbs, pipes, CRG mirrors. I guess the bar end turn signals were most likely what caused it. I checked most connnections. I was wondering if anyone had a problem with their tach and what the did to fix it.
The only other electrical problem I had was the starter solenoid stopped working. The dealer fixed this.

-Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i noticed from your other post you were working around the air box look for a 3 pin connector in that areawith a red wire coming from an ignition module. your problem might be there. just a guess.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whoa howie i think you are right, that might be it. I'll go check that out.

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok nevermind. checked all connections running down the right side of the bike from the electrical control stuff. They were all plugged in. Anyone have any other suggestions?

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Wire colors on bar end signals is often reversed from Duati OEM. Do they work? If not, there's your clue. Try reversing wires then see if signals and tach work. If not, then you need to have heart to heart with the wiring diagram.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chris, but the turn signals work. The tach and signals are some how related? I went all the way down the tach cable and checked all the cables un plugged and plugged them back in. Still no tach. Where does the tach pick up the rpm's? Off the motor? Which sensor on the motor is it if it picks it up off the motor? I'm still clueless, thinking I'm going to have to pay 60 bucks to the dealer to get them to figger it out.

-Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the tach signal comes off one of the ignition modules. it should be a grey wire. that wire goes to a 3 pin connector.

·
Registered
374 Posts
New bar end turn signals, carbs, pipes, CRG mirrors. I guess the bar end turn signals were most likely what caused it. I checked most connnections. I was wondering if anyone had a problem with their tach and what the did to fix it.
The only other electrical problem I had was the starter solenoid stopped working. The dealer fixed this.

-Patrick
Patrick, could you list the symptoms of your starter solenoid not working? I was wondering if this is what is causing my bike not to start. I have power every where, I can push start and I can jump start the starter off the battery. Ducati has it right now still trying to figure out why the starter button doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Patrick, I forget which fuse, but I know that one of them has the instruments on it and I know that the turn signals that people like have the wire colors swapped. :)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andrew, the bike would only start occasionally. It was really finicky about cranking and would be really off and on about when it would crank. There was no consistency and no pattern, sometimes it would crank sometimes it wouldn't, I just know that it kept getting worse. They say you can pick up the starter solenoid at Radio Shack. Its the smallest box with a wire connected to it under your seat. I had to pay about 45 dollars for the dealer to plug another box in. However they said that solenoid is not very common.

So Chris what are you saying I should try? Try looking at all fuses? Like the one fuse that does, headlihgt/tail lights/ turns/ horn?

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Patrick,

If the major systems mentioned on the fuse cover work, then there is no problem there. Probably lost connection between the ignition module and the tack somewhere. Could also be the wiring harness. One of those "could be anything" situations where you check everything and then consult with wiring diagram and start half stepping through it.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is the ignition module precisely? Just look for loose wires? Hopefully something is just loose.

Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
lift the fuel tank and between the air box and battery you will see two plastic boxes with electrical connectors on them. they are the ignition modules. between them are the ignition coils.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I'll check out those modules.

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tach is fixed. You guys were right it was a problem related to the boxes that are on the outside of the coils. One little wire was not plugged into the coil and it caused tons of problems for me. Thanks a bunch for all of your help.

-Patrick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts