Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps.

I just bought a 99 M750 Dark. The tach on the bike doesn't work. The needle will just bounce (from vibration i'm guessing) down at 0-RPM. When i'm in 3rd or 4th gear with the throttle open it'll bounce up around 7K and back down. I've checked the wiring and everything looks ok. Do i need to buy a new tach or could the problem be somewhere else like in the wiring or in the control unit? Thanks in advance guys.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unplug the instrument cluster and clean the prongs with a good blast of electrical contact cleaner (not the silicon stuff).

Than fixed mine.

Also, as a precaution, either disconnect your battery or be very careful to avoid touching the prongs (within the plug) with any metal objects. In other words, just spray the dang things really good!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I found my old username ... woohoo!!!

Anyways. Tried cleaning all the contacts all the way down ... still no dice. I'm getting used to the sound of the engine and can judge by the power and sound. Would really like to have my tach working. I guess i'll have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. :-/

-Jon

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
when tracing the tach cabeling to the motor i lose it in a group of wires. Where does the tach hardware "plug into" the engine?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Wuts up man..
I have a 99 m750 dark.
I just installed a DP carbon fiber tach on my bike last night, I could not stand not being able to see my engine run any longer.

It is sweet and works well...
So you know, the tach wires run down the right side of my frame and connect on the Black Ignition Module...on the right side of the bike (facing forwards) under the gas tank in front of the battery next to the coils that are in the middle (that sounded really confusing) a link to pics below!

this is a link to a couple pics..click the link and scroll about 2/3 the way down, you will see the section about hooking up a tachometer.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/miscmods.html

Make sure ALL your connections are good, you could even use a multimeter or something to test for continuity.

Good luck man...hope it all works out for ya.

Oh yeah, this link might help you figure things out also!

http://www.geocities.com/srnelson_m900/duc_custom/tach_install.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts