Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question as follows:

Will this style DP tach work correctly on my tachless 1999 M900 (Carb'd)? I have read a previous post in a search regarding a waste-cycle spark that causes some tach's to read incorrectly twice the actual engine speed. It would read 4000 rpm rather than 2000 rpm. I really want to make this change:

I want to ensure that I will have no problems upon installation with the new gauge reading half or double the appropriate rev's.

Also, if anyone can help with my choke relocation issue, I'll mail you a beer. Seriously. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
What is the application for that tach? If it is for an '01 or earlier it should work. All the carby bikes use a waste spark, and I think the first year FI bike also did as the computer did not control ignition.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
If that gauge is listed for your 99 it should work. The white faced gauges were for earlier bikes. My 96 had a white faced speedo only.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the issue, I don't have the part no. just the listing and picture on the MonsterParts website - my bike came stock with only the single white faced speedometer and rectangle of idiot lights. Probably same as yours.

I've seen both white and grey faced tach's and the difference in face colors leaves me curious and apprehensive. I'd hate to get a wrong one. But I assume if a person was getting a tach, they'd be adding, and not replacing a tach and the bikes that would get a tach are like mine (and your '96).

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Check very closely. I have a 98 that I installed a DP tach on. White face. I know the white face will work. I'm doubtful about the dark face for your application.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
From that listing it looks like a tach only, no housing. How are you going to mount it?
Have you contacted them for more info?

Mac900 said:
Check very closely. I have a 98 that I installed a DP tach on. White face. I know the white face will work. I'm doubtful about the dark face for your application.
I was pretty sure some of the later carby bikes had a dark face.

D

·
0 Posts
I believe in '01 they got rid of the wasted spark. At least they did on my '01, might have been a middle of the year sorta thing.

But in any event your '99 will be just fine [thumbsup]

And if it's not fine you'll have a 18K redline, which would instead be awesome!

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
DrunkenMonkey said:
I believe in '01 they got rid of the wasted spark. At least they did on my '01, might have been a middle of the year sorta thing.

But in any event your '99 will be just fine [thumbsup]
I guess I was off a year. The first FI bikes used the old style ign.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
You should be. Is that price for a whole kit, or is it just the tach?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I'm reading it as $75 for a tach. $190 for the housing. 265 Total, add a 6 pack and a warm garage and i'm good to go.

I can't think of anything I'm missing. And this just made the upgraded instrument cluster affordable...
What about wiring harness and warning lights?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I was looking to buy a white faced tach to match my white faced speedo for my '98. Found out they were discontinued. Got the dark faced tach part #96502100A M600/750/900 up to year '00 from Ducati Seattle. Used housing thanks to Duck-Stew. If you get the tach make sure to get a harness to the coil (don't know part #). BTW $265.00 for the tach and housing is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, I have emailed Jeff this evening regarding the wiring set up but I fear he had gone home for the day. I should know tomorrow if everything goes right.

mostrorosso said:
BTW $265.00 for the tach and housing is a good deal.
That's what I'm screaming!

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
If you get the 96908999C housing kit, it may come with the tach harness. You can use the old lights, harness, and plug from the stock speedo only panel. At least that's what I did.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
i bought quite a lot of grey faced tachos - 96502100A - to suit carbed monsters and sold them thru ebay with housings as mostrorosso says. they are just the late face version of the white one as all '00 on monster had grey dashes.

i think all '00 onward 900 (all injected, 1.5m ecu, fuel and ignition control) had tachos as std fitment, so i don't think there's an injected version of this tacho. if there was it'd expect 4 pulses per revolution i think (or cycle maybe), so it'd read 2 or 4 times low. i think.

D

·
0 Posts
brad black said:
i think all '00 onward 900 (all injected, 1.5m ecu, fuel and ignition control) had tachos as std fitment, so i don't think there's an injected version of this tacho. if there was it'd expect 4 pulses per revolution i think (or cycle maybe), so it'd read 2 or 4 times low. i think.
It'll read one half as fast. On the FI bikes you only get one spark every 2 revolutions. In found this out the hard way when I bought a DP 'octopod' guage cluster: The tach read 1/2 the correct RPMs until I tracked down the OEM manufacturer (Nova-MMB in Germany) for the gauge cluster and got a 2:1 ratio replacement tach.

So to recap: Pre 2000 bikes = 1:1 ratio tach, 2000 and on bikes: 2:1 ratio tach.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
the injected tachos just gets a signal from the ecu that's not actually based on firing the ignition drivers as such, but on what the software says to put out to the tacho. i had been told that was 4 pulses per rotation, but that's obviously not right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts