Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Monster 1100 EVO. Riding along as normal, my oil temp gauge on the digital dash started blinking, the check engine light came on, and power was reduced to a safety mode. I pulled over and allowed the bike to cool as I was not sure what was happening. After cooling, the bike remained in a lessened power safety mode and I gently rode it the last few miles home. According to the owners manual, the blinking Oil Temperature Gauge on the digital dash indicates "sensor FAULT". Additionally, the error code reads "T Oil", which I found on the internet to be faulty oil temperature sensor, but ironically this specific code is not mentioned in my owners manual. Further digging in the owners manual and I was able to find the oil pressure sensor located on the top of the clutch side of the crank case but no sensor dedicated to the oil temperature. Any input on whether the oil pressure sensor is also responsible for monitoring oil temperature as well? Trying to determine if replacing this sensor (or another that I haven't yet found) may correct my "T Oil" error code. Weird that the T Oil code is not mentioned in my manual. Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Have you looked at a wiring diagram ? Try to identify all the sensors connected to the engine using the wiring diagram. I’ve never heard of a combination oil pressure and temperature sensor but it’s certainly possible. It’s going to be low on the engine, somewhere that is always bathed in oil.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you buy a new temperature sensor you’ll know what it looks like, then you can find it on the engine. You’re going to buy one anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at wiring and sensor diagrams in an attempt to find an oil temp sensor. If I could determine which sensor monitors engine oil temp I certainly would just purchase a new one in hopes that would correct the error. That is the problem though, my Owners Manual does not address the T Oil error code and my Parts Catalog does not indicate an oil temp sensor. I wouldn't even know what to purchase and replace to try to fix the problem.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just tell the dealer you want an oil temp sensor for a 2012 Monster 1100. They’ll probably give you the right one. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, yes if only it was that easy! Of course a call to the dealer quickly leads to the only option being to bring the machine in for diagnostic testing rather than simply ordering a part for owner installation. $$$ That being said, if I get nowhere with any other replies on this forum I am going to call a few different dealers around the country and try a few different approaches. I may have revealed a bit too much info to the first dealer and they leveraged my concern

·
Registered
889 Posts
Where are you ? You know you can order that part from any number of dealers, Ducati of Omaha is one many people use. Can’t you just walk up to a parts counter with your bike serial number and buy a part ( electrical so may be non returnable) , without talking to a service guy ? Google “Ducati Parts“ . I needed a sensor for my Busa, went on eBay, and bought all the sensors for the bike ( used) in one lot, from a wreck. You know if it got wrecked it was running. There are bike breakers all over , check eBay. If one is selling a part for your bike they may have the whole bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole problem is not "getting the part", the problem is figuring out what part to get. I cannot find any concrete evidence of how the oil temperature is sensed so that I can just call and order that particular part/sensor. When I called my local Tampa dealer I had to describe my symptoms (as described in message 1 of this thread) and at that point they decided it could possibly be a more involved situation and would require full diagnostic testing. As I said, I will be calling a few other dealers parts departments and give them the general line that I have a faulty oil temp sensor and need to get a new one...no deeper details will be provided and we will see how it goes.

As far as ebay, wrecked bikes, salvage yards, etc, I totally agree with you! I am all about picking up used parts for my cars and bikes whenever possible. I just can't figure out what damn part to get haha. Thanks again for the feedback, I will report back on how my dealer parts department calls go

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think you’re going to have to physically show up at the dealer with a take no **** attitude. You should be able to ask the parts man for the sensor by year and model and refuse technical “help”. Frankly, you really need to find another dealer, plain and simple. Call Ducati Omaha, I have heard they are helpful and knowledgeable, and they have no intent of milking you for a diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ducati of Omaha has the complete parts catalog with illustrations (it can even be downloaded). You can find your sensor and just order it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Problem Solved (so far so good...)
By having a phone discussion with the parts dept at BMW/Ducati of Jacksonville, was able to determine that the sensor that monitors the engine temperature on my particular bike is part number 55241452A and is located on the front of the vertical cylinder. Of course I ordered one! In the meantime, I disconnected the battery for several days and disconnected the temperature sensor connector below the fuel tank on the right side. Cleaned up the connector, left everything unplugged and let the bike sit a few days while awaiting parts delivery. Replacing the sensor requires quite a bit of disassembly of surrounding parts to get access, so once I received the sensor I decided to plug everything back in and give it one last look before tearing it down. To my surprise, once the battery and sensor were reconnected and I turned the key, the check engine light was OFF with no error codes. Fired it up and the bike ran normally, went for about a 30 mile ride and all seemed fine. After that I replaced the spark plugs and all fresh fluids (engine oil, clutch, brakes) for good measure. The bike has run excellent ever since over about 500 miles. In conclusion, I am not really sure what fixed the problem. Maybe the sensor connector was loose because even though I cleaned it, it certainly did not look dirty at all or have any moisture in there. I was able to return the $60 temperature sensor and the bike runs beautifully again. Just wanted to provide an update in conclusion in case someone runs across this in the future and can use the info. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing the part#. Since I have the same bike I Googled 55241452A so I could learn what it looks like and locate it on my own bike if I ever need to. Thanks, and I'm glad your bike is running!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts