Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We use Syn Oil on all of the bikes... It costs a little more, but in the long run it is better. With Ducati they recommend it. A friend of ours who races AFM and races his 3 Ducs, also swears by Syn Oil. So, my question is what do you use? Why do use regular oil?

R

·
0 Posts
As far as I know, the Ducati's come from the factory with Synthetic Oil installed. I have used nothing but Synthetic Oil in my Ducks. Bellray Products are readily available in my area at almost ten bucks a quart. Do you need to use synthetic? I dunno- 40 dollars in oil every 3,000 miles just gives me a warm fuzzy.

RossoDuc~ aka Rich

R

·
0 Posts
For my car, my truck, and my bike, I vary the oil type by the season... not because of weather, because of how busy I will be.

If I'm going to change my oil early and often (2000-3000 miles) I use good old fashioned dino oil... Castrol GTX. If I know it might be a while between changes (4000-6000 on the bike, 6000-10000 on the cages) I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Why? Based on the MCN oil article (linked in the FAQ here, I believe) Synth. retains its viscosity longer than dino. It also costs a lot more. So if I'm going to be changing the oil before the dino stuff even begins to deteriorate, using the synth. is throwing money away...

I'm basing my decision entirely on that MCN article though, as I put a lot of stock in their opinions and not a lot in my own knowledge/understanding of oil. Feel free to prove me an idiot. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said, it is expensive... But, the bikes are threaded with Syn Oil, from Pierre :) I have a 93 Monster and that is all it has ever had in it. It would go into cardiac arrest if I used something else. I will add there has never been any leaks under my Monster :D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I buy Redline 10W-40 synthetic by the case and use it all of our bikes and my Jeep... By the case, I'm paying a little less than $7/qt. Synthetics are good for areas with wide seasonal temperature changes because they act like a thinner oil than the equivalent dino oil when it's cold, but have better viscosity when the engine or outside temps get hot.

I know Redline is wet clutch safe, while some other full synthetics may not be...

--Fillmore

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Syn Oil for 4Wheel drives is a must. With DynaTrac Axles that is all you can use. There is not much temp change in this part of Cali. Although when in Tahoe we have to keep everything inside in the winter aside from snow, the cold could and can extremly damge things.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a Jeep you know, that DynaTrac is the must have.
The Atlas transfer case really made a difference. Next to Bike Mods, 4 Wheel Mods are a must :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spoke with two sales engineers from Shell a few months ago on a work related project. I asked them about using Shell Advance full synthetic oil, them told me I wasting my money. Go Figure.

M

·
0 Posts
I love the synthetic vs natural oil debate. This thread must exist on EVERY auto message board on the net. I think whats been lost is why synth exists. Somewhere along the line the marketdroids managed to make synthetic synonymous with performance or reliability.

There are reasons for using synthetic oils such as oil system lubed and cooled turbos. This is rough on natural oil. The oil is cooked inside that turbo and with even normal oil change intervals synthetic tended to hold up much better. In racing synthetics have properties that are beneficial.

In our reality the BEST oil for the street is the oil you change before it breaks down or is too contaminated.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Question for the board.. I had always heard that syns were longer lasting before breakdown but... not to run them until the motor was broken in.. so is it ok to run right out of the gate or wait till it "s broken in?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
We use full syn in all our bikes.

M

·
0 Posts
Question for the board.. I had always heard that syns were longer lasting before breakdown but... not to run them until the motor was broken in.. so is it ok to run right out of the gate or wait till it "s broken in?
well the "theory" is natural oil is more abrasive, or synthetic is way slicker. The synthetic would not allow proper break-in or something similar. I do not know if anyone has done any decent research into this... at least I cant find any.

I know the hardcore drag racers do not worry about it. Rebuild the block, dump in the synthetic.. GM uses mobil 1 in their mobil 1 cars from day 1. You decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts