Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all is involved in switching he shift pattern to GP style and is there an internet resource with pictures possibly?

T

·
0 Posts
Check out strati's site. Has all the info you need:
[link]http://ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/gp/[/link]

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just did the mod, but mine's a little different. I have the evoluzione slave cylinder installed, so I had to put my linkage on a little different and in order to get it to shift correctly I had to mount the shift rod on the outside of the shifter peg. Does that make sense? It all lines up straight so I don't anticipate any problems, but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only way to know is to try it. Take it around the block and see if it shifts with out binding. But remember its backwards now. ;D

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Ok I will bite..is it called GP shifting because they turn the lever over in MotoGp racing?
No it's been around longer than MotoGP. It does stand for Grand Prix though. It allows upshifts while leaning the bike over without getting your foot caught between the bike and the tarmac.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did it last night, great Mod, Feels Goood, just makes better sense, now just have to train the brain which ways up & which ways down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did it last night, great Mod, Feels Goood, just makes better sense, now just have to train the brain which ways up & which ways down.
But once you do it you have to stick with it. It is better shifting this way. God forbid if I ever buy a bike that can't be reversed. I took an R6 for a spin today and spent more time thinking about shifting than anything else. I was just helping out a friend I had to go take a shower (ie the crying game) afterwards.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Elpato,
totally understand, i guess it will take a week or two to become automatic! Had a couple of F ups on the way to work thismorning.

But i keep thinking how many times i've been cranked over in a left hander & had to hold back because i was reluctant to try & upshift, as my brain was remembering the last few times i tried.

So i'm going to stick with it!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Elpato,
I really like the shift this way, i reckon it make the bike more comfortable to ride. ;D

I'm concentrating when i ride to shift correctly as it's only the 2nd day, but every now & then the Brain takes ove & goes back to the old way. :-/

How long does it normally take to become ingrained in ones brain......Down to go up, Up to go down? ???

·
Registered
796 Posts
I tried it today just for kicks and I liked it O.K. I switched it back cause my commuter (2002 FZ1) cannot be switched due to the linkage running through the frame. I dont think I could handle having one bike one way and the other the opposite.
To tell you the truth I very rarely shift while leaned over. Part of setting up the turn, for me, is getting it in the right gear. I usually shift right as Im standing the bike up on exit.
It is a cool mod that would really f$ck up anyone trying to steal your bike. (or maybe just f$ck up your tranny)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I very rarely shift while leaned over. Part of setting up the turn, for me, is getting it in the right gear. )
Same for me. Few times I have caught myself in a wrong gear but both those times were my mistake anyway, with a very sharp radius turn in a road never done before.

Anyway, I would like to do it to pose a bit more, because I know I could (with a little practise) to go as fast as in MOTO GP, I just feel so one with the bike. .... ;) :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I originally had to learn because the shop sponsoring me had another racer and that is how he had the bikes. So if he was to crash one I had to give up mine. So to save on setup times/ and because when racing some turns you have to shift in. It does happen. Well ever since then I have been programmed to shift that way. So now I do it. To me upshifting at a higher rate of speed is actually easier with this set up. Do it you want don't if you don't.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Might be worth trying. I'm not sure how trainable I am, though. Of course the Ducati shifts on the left, but the Triumph shifts on the right! Can't tell you how many times I've gone from the Triumph to the Duc and stabbed the rear brake trying to downshift! DUH!!! Usually only do it once (HEH HEH). It might be too much to try to remember left or right with out throwing in "down for up"!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts