Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What product is safe to use that will remove swirl marks on the plastic fairing for a 2010 monster?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You can use any of those headlight restorer products at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What product is safe to use that will remove swirl marks on the plastic fairing for a 2010 monster?
Are the swirl marks on the painted plastic, the clear headlight cover or the little windscreen? Do you know how they got there? With your bike being a '10 model, it certainly cannot be caused by excessive washing and wiping down, at least not yet anyway.

If they are on the clear headlight cover or little windscreen, I completely agree with TonyDiv that you could use one of the headlight restorer kits.

If they are on the painted plastic, here is my 2 cents worth. I do speak from a certain degree of experience as the last 5 vehicles I have owned have all been black and I am anal about keeping my cars and trucks clean. I like Meguiars products and I am a fan of their Ultimate Quick Detailer and their Ultimate Quick Wax. Both are spray on, wipe off and will not discolor any of the black plastic. I use a clean microfiber towel for application and another clean one for wipe down. I have been using these products on my M1100S so far as my primary cleaning, but then again, I take the time to clean my bike after each and every ride, have not ridden in rain or down any gravel roads so it has never gotten very dirty to begin with. Some people may not wish to take this time so maybe my cleaning suggestion would not work for all.

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this but here is a thought for you. Just ask the car guy in your neighborhood or at work what they use to keep their vehicles so clean all the time. That way you can actually look at the results.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good point, I just kind of assumed that he was talkng about the clear plastic wind screen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got the motorcycle last Friday and not sure how the swirl marks got there. I see the lines when the light shines on the red tank cover. I just hate how it looks since i just got the motorcycle.

·
Banned
4 Posts
f you sanded a fairly large area with anything coarser than 150 grit it must have left some serious sand scratches which are really hard to deal with.In the body shop we first apply an adhesion enhancer to the raw plastic,paints don't stick well without it.Then a heavy coat of flexible primer-surfacer made for plastics.After it dries,water sand with 400 grit until the raised areas show through then repeat as many times as needed.This will take several tries and lots of primer.Then spray the color coats and clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts