Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating ordering a cell phone jammer from the UK and mounting it on my motorcycle to give me an 80 meter diameter cell phone free bubble around my bike. I think that will be enough distance to knock their cell phone out, have their small brains register the fact that they no longer have service, and put their hands back on the wheel. At the very least I will have the satisfaction of knowing that no one around me will be able to talk on the phone. I have been writing letters to the CHP suggesting a ban on cell phone use in a car and proposing some interesting penalties. Such as inserting the phone somewhere it wont cause harm to others. Boy, wouldn't that lead to smaller cell phones.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
IF you do get one and it works, please pass along the info. I'll get one for each of our vehicles... Be sure to ask the seller if this will work in USA cell phone frequency ranges.

Oh, this is illegal. I've been told that the FCC will eventually send people to scout out your path and try to triangulate who's doing the jamming. BUUUUUUT, when I was talking to someone about this topic and heard that, I was talking about building a 10~100 Watt spike generator that would actually fry the input circuitry in the receiver radio in the cellphones (and possibly the towers, too...). Perhaps a jammer is better idea? ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
guys, on my daily rides to work, i seriously pass so many cars where the driver is not just on the phone, but reading a book or newspaper on the steering wheel, or getting dressed or doing make up.....

are people seriously that dumb???

every cage i overtake, i always check out the driver....for two reasons primarily:

1. they are wearing a short short skirt and showing plenty of skin..

but alas i am usually disappointed to find that they are

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
every cage i overtake, i always check out the driver....for two reasons primarily:

1. they are wearing a short short skirt and showing plenty of skin..

but alas i am usually disappointed to find that they are

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
It's even more of a pain in the arse to talk on my cellphone while riding the bike. I have to slip it under my helmet just so, after dialing with both hands. I usually do it while in the fast lane to ensure that I only have to worry about traffic on my right. It's okay, though, I'm safe about it - I slow down to about 45 mph.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, most of drivers are... "suck" I am sorry to say that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Eliminating cell phone use is not going to solve the problem. And I agree that im jammin their phones, you open up more problems as a result. You just need to be more perceptive and pay closer attention to what goes on. You eliminate cell phone use, you will have to eliminate CB radio use, hell, even the cops should have their little lap tops taken out of the cars. What makes them so much better than the rest of us that they can do other tasks while driving and we shouldn't be allowed to. This is another one of those "I spoke before I thought" issues just like the whole banning smoking in bars idea. I'm not singling you out Littleduc, people have been complaining about this for a while. I think we all need to get in our SUVs, lite up a smoke and talk on our cell phones and we go running over everyone who has nothing better to do than try to change things that they should leave alone.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you use a jammer on Long Island you will pretty much cripple every piece of sh*t driver on this Island, especially in Great Neck. Talk about a bunch of jerks. They are bad enough in thier 3 ton SUVs, doing nails, putting on lipstick while looking in the rearview...but then they take that one free hand and pick up the cell phone and talk to iran or wherever they are from and they are a rolling 10 ton death machine.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes people do a lot of things in their car they shouldn't be doing. But, no one can argue that cell phone use has gotten out of control. People have been reading and putting on make up in cars since I was born. But I would have maybe one encounter a year with a dangerous driver who was distracted. Now it is more like 12 times a day and they are all on their phones. Ideally traffic enforcement would be like it is in Germany. But that does not seem likely to happen any time soon.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always check out the driver behind me when I stop at a light, to make sure they're paying attention and, oh, actually stopping like they should be. The other day a woman comes up a little to quickly for my liking, I scoot out of the way, and then see she that she's using an EYELASH CURLER while driving. WTF is up with THAT?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cell-phone jamming sounds illegal to me. Best answer is to make headsets a legal requirement on the road. I got one of those Bluetooth models and just keep it hooked in my ear while I'm driving to and from work. Never touch the phone.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
haven't heard of anyolRe: SUV + cell phone problem

Supposedly a bill was passed last year to make it illegal to hold cell phone in hand in California, but CHP would only be able to write it up if another offense was committed. And it was a $50 fine. I have not heard of it being enforced. Has anyone?
By the way Sapper D, that was me flipping you off as I passed you blocking thr road!!! ;D ;D ;D :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Even if they have both hands on the wheel, it is the conversation that distracts them.

People need to realize driving is a serious activity that demands 100% of your attention. It is not a way of getting from place to place, it is an interaction between members of society. Causing a traffic back up because you don't know what the left lane is for, means one person is inconveniencing several others.

If you walked slowly down a crowded sidewalk, blocking people, not letting them pass... wouldn't somebody do something about it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
riding a motorbike in urban areas is always going to be like a game of spaces invadars - u got dodge all those enemies who are out there to kill ya....u just gotta take each episode as it comes and get over it to face the next obstacle....

·
Registered
852 Posts
The other day a woman comes up a little to quickly for my liking, I scoot out of the way, and then see she that she's using an EYELASH CURLER while driving. WTF is up with THAT?
I saw a worst one in Bakersfield...(oh yeah...) it was actually quite amusing. She was blowdrying her hair with an invertor plugged into the cigarette socket. That was creative, but she almost hit me.

I don't think it's a matter of "law enforcement", it's a matter of education and teaching people to have respect for others, not just themselves. *sigh*

By the way, the jammer would be illegal in FCC standard, regardless of its power range.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
In France, and most of Europe in general, cell phone use is forbidden for the driver. It is halfa$$ enforced, but it does help. This is one of those subjects that I would give up a little of my freedom (talking while driving) to gain more safety for all.

It is not just the conversation that causes accidents, it is the phone itself. My sister-in-law had an accident recently in Chicago when the phone rang and it was in her bag in the back seat. She did the old reach behind trick and ran into the car in front of her. She didn't even seem bothered that she caused a fender bender and could have caused injuries, she was just worried about her insurance. I havn't seen her since so I haven't had the chance to slap her.

mitt

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
in Saffa and recently in the UK its law to drive with a headset, not sure about UK but in Saffa if you get bust chatting on your cell and driving there is a fine of $2000 USD. and it is enforced cos' the cheese takes a cut. :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts