Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the oppertunity to purchase a set of fully adjst. showa forks for around 300 bucks. off of a 1000 monster or a 900 . i am almost positive these will fit so thats not my main concern. has any one else made this mod? and if so what do u think, and in general after making this suspension mod. and any thoughts on what to do with the rear?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I imagine the standard reply is "Ohlins". Those who have 'em seem to be real happy.

If you've got a little more cake and an itch to be different, a lister or two has raved about Penske.

I'm sure either one would be much better than your stocker.

FYI, those folks who have the adjustable forks, and put an Ohlins on the back, tend to comment: " I never noticed how harsh these forks were until I put the rear shock on..."
Not trying to talk you out of any upgrades, just pointing out the "escalator" factor.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey Brian! We riding this weekend? suposed to be over 60 degrees!
WOOHOO!

How many miles on the forks? If you spend some time adjusting them, the should make a huge difference. I have baseline settings to get you started. If your avail Sat., you can try mine.

Later...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
That's in incredible price for adjustable Monster Showas. Jump on it!

Having said that, they are not a panacea. If you weigh more than about 170, the stock spring is probably not beefy enough for you. Also, the valving will not do a good job on sharp (high frequency) bumps. A Gold Valve conversion will address that.

I say get 'em. They'll be a lot better than your non-adjustables and you can upgrade springs and fvalves down the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=35615&item=2438060243

theres the link, my forks have 10 k on them, and theres no major marks, some super small chips from reg use, but if i get the showas, should i keep these? or try to dump them off and if thats the case, how much should i ask for them? havent seen them going on ebay or anything. i still havent decided what to do, if i dont want the forks, i dont think it would be a big deal to not take them, i only out bid the other guy by a couple bucks... not to sure what to do.... herb, are those the forks that are on your monster?? i dont know what type come on the monsters with adjustable suspension. if so, u cant be to much off weight wise from me, that would be great to see the difference. well just got new tires today, mounted on the rims, just got to slap them on the bike, and ready to ride sat. if its nice..... hope to see you out there

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Also, the valving will not do a good job on sharp (high frequency) bumps. A Gold Valve conversion will address that.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't gold valves emulators of cartridge forks for regular ones? The inverted Showas should already be cartridge forks.

Are the Monster Showas identical to the SBK ones, but differ only in diameter?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
RaceTech has gold valves for non-adjustable AND adjustable forks.

The problem with the Showa valves on the adjustables is that they have very small holes; just can't flow oil quickly enough for high frequency bumps. The gold valves can really move the oil. Hold one in each hand and the difference is obvious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i've been wanting gold valves for my S4. so far no one at RachTech has a clue with the S4. anybody out there had some luck? any ideas?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I find this surprising.

What does the S4 have for forks? I'd guess it would be the same as the adjustable M900Sie of the same year or maybe on the outside, the ST since that's where the frame came from.

In any case, I seriously doubt they're unique to that model. So if you can cross reference to a more common model, you should be able to get RaceTech to help.

A call to BCM would probably get you what you need as well.
www.bcmducati.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
does anyone out there know the cross-bike fork models info for the S4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts