Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help me understand this. I would have thought that as the outside air temp went down, that a suspension that felt "harsh" before would feel even more harsh as the damping would be increased due to the increased viscosity of the fluid in the forks/shock. Makes sense to me, but I no expert with suspension, so i know I'm missing something.

The stock suspension on my 620 always felt harsh to me. But now that the weather is cooler (say 50's or less), I've noticed that it doesn't feel as harsh as it did when the ambient temps were 90+. the same bump that would jar my kidneys or throw my ass 4 inches off the seat now doesn't feel as noticeable.

this winter, I was planning on putting new fluid in the forks and going a bit lighter in weight -- say 5W rather than the stock 7, but now I'm having second thoughts. Am I misinterpreting the "harshness" as too little damping? would I be better off with heavier weight?

thanks for any insights,
mike

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You're correct, the damping should be higher with cooler temps.

Have you fitted new tires lately or running less pressure?

<edited for speeling>

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no new tires yet. but as cold as it is, the tire pressure is a lower than normal: 30/31.5. good thought; I'll be that's what it is. I'm going to put some new tires on her next month, so I think I'll wait on screwing with the suspension until i have them on and find the right running pressure for them. thanks.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If you're going to open up the forks, it's a good opportunity to put a proper set of springs in.
You'll like your forks a lot more then.

·
Registered
555 Posts
here is a theory
to light a spring rate is causing your harshness in the warmer temps.
the colder weather is adding compression damping that keeps you from bottoming your suspension.
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.