Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new chain and sprockets. I had counted the teeth on my last rear sprocket at 41, and 15 on the front, so with this in mind I ordered a new 15/41 setup. When I went to change the rear, it was smaller. I counted the teeth, and lo and behold, it was 39! So it turns out I've had the stock gearing this whole time! Needless to say I'm excited as to the change this is going to make, given how much people rave about 14t/41t conversions!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
so am I to understand that you don't know how to count?

j/k... but seriously.

I went from 15/39 to 15/46 a while back. Pretty crazy change... I think I'm gonna move back to 15/43 or 15/41 before too long.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'94 M900. Not sure if I like the change. Definately has more zing, but you have to change gears more, and it's always revving higher. Hmm we'll see I guess. BTW I counted the old sprocket while it was on the bike with the chain on and with no rearstand, I'm surprised I even got a believable number!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Don't worry Howley,

It get's hard after you have used all your fingers and toes [laugh] [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
15/43 for me. But my 750's not stock, and the bike's a LOT lighter than a stocker is.

I've geared up customer's 750s to 15/46 and they like 'em.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just feels like it revs out to fast. It doesn't seem as torqey as before.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Counting the teeth while the sprocket is on the bike and the bike isn't on a stand is kinda hard. I tried that and came up with a 38, 39, 40. :-\ Luckily the guy at the shop knew what was stock for my bike and I was able to get the same thing. Works great for a lightweight like me (120-130lbs). It makes it a bit easier if you count only half the teeth and multiply by 2.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Counting the teeth while the sprocket is on the bike and the bike isn't on a stand is kinda hard. I tried that and came up with a 38, 39, 40. :-\ Luckily the guy at the shop knew what was stock for my bike and I was able to get the same thing. Works great for a lightweight like me (120-130lbs). It makes it a bit easier if you count only half the teeth and multiply by 2.
or you can use a marker next time and mark the teeth off as you go ;) or even write the number as you go...

depending on the sprocket too, you can usually find a number somewhere on it, but it's not always visible on the bike :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts