Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the risks / ramifications from exceeding the milage for the 6K service? Say I went..1000 or 2000 miles over or 500 before taking it in. She's running pretty good, no complaints. Maybe burning a little too much oil, not sure. I probably add 1/2 quart per 1000 miles. I don't have any grey or white smoke from the pipes, no obvioius leaks.

Maybe just change the oil, and ride for another few weeks?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you change oil and filter at 2500-3000 miles I'd say it won't hurt to strech your service to 7000. but if oil has not been changed, I would do it imediatly. Oil should be changed after the valve adjustment, otherwise I would say change oil and filter now and skip at service.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you changed the oil since the 600 mile tune-up? I would change my oil at least once a year or every 3k. Anyone know when the valves get adjusted?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valves will be checked and adjusted if nessesary at 6K.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't go over it if it can be helped. 500miles is probably fine but not more than that. The 6k service isn't just for a bike that's not running well - it's for preventative maintenance necessary after that many miles. Adjust valves and timing belts mainly. From what I've heard, and depending on how good your mechanic is, you'll probably be surprised how well it runs afterwards.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the oil at 3K. I probably wouldn't go over 7K without it. This is such a busy month and the service guys have to keep the bike for 1 - 1 1/2 weeks :'( They have excellent service at this place, both mechanical and customer service. If I wait til September, I don't have as much to do and could sacrifice that long without the bike.

So I understand the importance of the service, but what, if anything could happen as a result of waiting 1K?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always check the valve clearance yourself. If they are in spec, or very close just change the oil and keep riding. It will only take an hour or two the first time. There are a few places on the net that have instructions on how to do it, or you could buy a Hanes manual for the instructions.

Or, seeing that you are in the Bay Area, you could probably find another list member to help you out and show you how to do it.

1 to 1.5 weeks is a ridicules amount of time for a dealer to have your bike for a few hours worth of service. They should be able to schedule you an appointment and only keep the bike for a day, MAX!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
1. Going over the recommended interval is NBD if, as others said, you've kept up on the oil changes.
2. I went over on my 6k and will likely go over on my 12k. the reason: the shop DOES make appointments, but they're booked into the middle of September (I made the appointment over two weeks ago).
3. My shop, BCM, does first-come-first-serve on Saturdays. Weekdays are by appointment only with, I'm sure, some exceptions for little things.
4. The job is done in one day, with me hanging around asking all the stupid questions I want. Extra work like new tires, Racetech spring/valve upgrades, handled at the same time as long as the request is put in early enough to be sure to have parts on hand.

I don't see how I could give my bike up for a week and a half for a routine service.

I can't beleive you can't get quality service somewhere near where you live under better circumstances.

I think your shop needs to reevaluate it's appointment policies!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
sarah -

the shop you're talking about is great when it comes to service. their recommendations are:

every 6K = valve adj, check belts
every 12K = replace belts

as far as oil changes go, if you tend to go on group rides or solo rides that range around 150 mi. round trip, and you ride about 4x/month, you can change the oil ever 3 - 4 months.

chain cleaning/lubing is recommended about every 2nd or every 3rd ride (given the above parameters). do it after you get back from a group/solo ride so the chain is still hot from the ride. also, if you do this after a ride, you won't need much prep on the pre-ride prior to a future group ride.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please people, don't knock the service from a place you have never been. I choose to go there because I trust them. 6K may not be a big deal, but it's my first with this bike and it's my decision to go somewhere where I know they are not "jokers" and have the one of the most reputable respected names for service in the area. I'm not the only dummy around here willing to wait for their service. So shut up please :mad:!

As for my original question. My bike has been maintained in every way, 600 service, 3000K oil change, regular chain maintenance, new tires, etc. It is running beautifully! From the constructive replys that I have gotten, I think it would be ok to wait until 7K for the service. Is there anyone who disagrees and why?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If da valves go wacky enough you are stressing da rockin' desmo train.....I'm guessing worse case scenario is fudgin' the valves, shims, rockers, stuff like dat.

ka-ching$$$

Not likely but I suggest if guessing to error on the side of safety.
so I would get 'em checked as soon as you can, same with the cam belts.......

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Anyone know when the valves get adjusted?
i like them to be adjusted the first time around 1000 miles, as they are sometimes wildly out of spec from the factory, as they were on both of the new 900s that are in our garage. this can lead to a burned valve if ignored (or even left to 6000 adjustment).

;) chris

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Please people, don't knock the service from a place you have never been.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, the shut up thing was a bit on the offensive side..sorry abut that. I do feel I shouldn't have to defend my decision on where I take my bike. With all the issues people have been having with dealers fukin up stuff on peeps bikes, I'm suprised my decision is not more easily understood. I have taken my meds :eek: and am under control today :-*

I think I will take the bike in on Tuesday, and hope and pray I get it back before the weekend. They did say that the week estimate was a high estimate and would probably take less time. I can't wait til Sept, it will have at least 1-2K more by then.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Remember you dont only do the 6k services for preventive maint but also to have the documentation for when (god forbid) you sell the monster. A well informed buyer would demand it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yeah Sarah we do understand you going out of your way to use a shop you trust. I have at least four dealers within 20 miles and I ride 75 miles (no truck or trailer) in unpredictable weather to go to BCM.

I just wish, for your sake, that your shop would schedule this service for you so you wouldn't have to be Duc-less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts