Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I would like to get the upper on some forks Anodized black. But I'd also like to insure that this isn't going to wear off easily if adjustments are needed to be made thus sliding them up or down in the tripple clamps... or just from bugs and such hitting it.

Anyone have any experience with Anodized materials especially forks?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It will definitely show scratches prominently.
If you deburr the inside of your triples, you should be good to go for that issue.

Some black anodizing will turn a funky brownish-purple after even limited sun exposure.
Not sure what the defect is on that one.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's no good.... I garage it but it's out and about during the day most of the time... so time to come up with another idea...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
04 999 TiN Showas

Pre measured where the clamps would be, and didnt shoot em with paint, on install wedged open the triples, and used wax paper as a procetive sleve, and did it slowly.

The pait will chip if you hit rocks at 80 (plus I run sans fender) but black nailpolish fills it nicely, almost impossible to see

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking to install '02 998 Showas.. But they are all silver... no gold...

did you go with CycleCat upper triple? I'm just going to bore mine I think.. what did you use to shim the lower?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Speeddog said:
It will definitely show scratches prominently.
If you deburr the inside of your triples, you should be good to go for that issue.

Some black anodizing will turn a funky brownish-purple after even limited sun exposure.
Not sure what the defect is on that one.
That discoloration is due to the die that the anodizer used, not being light fast. Just like any die, it'll fade over time, but quality die will do so slowly and evenly so you might never notice. Well, until you pull the forks from the triple and notice the area in the clamps is darker...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have found anno to not be very durable. There is another process known as hard annodizing that is supposed to provide better longevity. Overall, I prefer powdercoating.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the major cost, is designing a mount so the mill can do the work.

and the shimmed are milled from a 2 and a half inch piece of stock

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Lukering said:
I have found anno to not be very durable. There is another process known as hard annodizing that is supposed to provide better longevity. Overall, I prefer powdercoating.
Hard Anodizing is indeed more durable, it converts the surface to aluminum oxide (which is what some sandpaper uses for grit).

Trouble is, it's not really *black*, more of a dark charcoal color.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can get hard anodizing in gloss black, but it's been years since I did it so I don't remember any specific shops. Shim stock is the way to go for the lowers, it works better & is waaay cheaper.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
keep purple power away from anodized parts, especially black ones ... my evo slave looks like shyte. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts