Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I'm finding now is burned out headlights. I keep mine on high beam during the day, and the super white bulbs are only lasting 3-4 months. Low beam is fine.
On the subject of super white headlights... is it true that you need a different voltage regulator if you want to use these? I always ride with low beam and only use high beam to signal that I am approaching fast so get the #@$%& out of my path, or at night.
Is the one you have Michael one of those bulbs which are frequently advertised on eBay?
Is the difference low beam with super white bulb versus low beam with regular buld really noticeable? Or is it only noticeable on high beam?

Daniel

S

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure about the need for a different voltage regulator, but I would suggest getting a good quality bulb. I've had good luck with Hella lighting equipment. It ultimately comes down to, you get what you pay for.

I recently installed a Hella Xenon +30% 55/60 in my 620 Dark. It's not brighter than the standard 55/60 that comes with the bike, but it's a whiter light that makes it appear brighter. Comparing it side by side to my g/f's 620 Dark w/original 55/60 (which is a Hella btw), you can tell the difference.

Hella makes a +50% bulb that has even more Xenon in the bulb which will be better yet, so I ordered a pair of them for our bikes. These are not gimicky "HID" bulbs either and are not tinted to give the look of true HID headlamps. So you won't look like a lot of the Honda sport compact guys that run around with blue headlights thinking a blue coated bulb is better than a standard white bulb. Here's a little info on the Xenon bulbs.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/xenon_bulbs.asp

If I get the chance when I install the +50's, I'll try taking a picture of the lights shining on the garage door side by side to give you an idea of the difference.

I order all my lighting bulbs from here. Super nice guy and has most everything in stock. Shipping starts at $6.50 for priority mail though.

http://www.rallylights.com

Trent

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, very useful answer. Right what I was looking for. :)
Hella is a German brand so I can very probably find them here in Belgium... I'll have a look in the local autoshop. Thx again.

S

·
0 Posts
I wanted to improve the lighting as much as possible w/o having to worry about creating additional load on the electrical system by going with a higher wattage bulb. So the +50% (or even +30%) bulbs work out great because there is no more current draw than the OEM Hella bulb and do not creat anymore heat but still put out a "better" light.

Bosch also makes nice stuff. I think the headlamp housing on my '03 620 is manufactured by Bosch. I'm not as familar with their line, but I wouldn't shy away from them at all if they had an equavilent to Hella's +50% bulb.

Come to think about it, tonight if I get the chance I will take pictures to show the comparison between Hella's standard 55/60 and +30% 55/60 bulbs. Then next week when I get the +50's I'll show the difference between the standard, +30 and +50 bulb.

Trent

L

·
0 Posts
While you guys are on this subject it seems like a good time make my first post. Typically, its a real newbie question too. ;)

I purchased a Narva +50 bulb for the bike last week (along with the bike itself, my first ducati) but can't seem to open the headlight to change them over. My understanding of the owners manual instruction is to just slacken the lower screw, and the chrome rim/lens piece should seperate from the housing. I've pulled and pryed on the thing and can't budge it.

For a guy who thinks he's ok with a toolset, this is making me feel like a complete dunce. BTW, great site here, straight on the favourites list!

S

·
0 Posts
I did take a couple pictures of the stock bulbs compared to the +30's, but you can't really tell any difference in the pic so I don't plan on posting them. I have yet to install the +50's which I got last week.

lp, you are correct in how you're supposed to remove the front headlight. I'm not sure why you're having problems. Maybe somebody previously didn't seat the light and ring properly and it's binding not allowing it to seperate from the housing. I's suggest completely removing the screw and inserting a small screwdriver in the opening in the housing and try and fiddle it around to see if you can get the thing to release.

L

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the tip Trent, I suspect your correct.

I noticed before trying to remove it that there was already a very small crease/bend in the chrome at the very top that looked like someone had forced it either on or off in the past. Attempted to remove the screw totally but it seems to reach a point where it just turns on itself.

Will take another shot at it now that I know theres no hidden method. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi guys/gals,

I am looking to change the headlamp, too, but my owner's manual only states "Round headlamp with iodine double filament etc" and didn't list the bulb type, which is really lame.

N

·
0 Posts
i went for the PIAA superwhite and thus far have been very pleased. It is an H4 i think

S

·
0 Posts
TrentCan you please tell me which model to search for on this page to get that +50% bulb??

Thanks!
Here ya go:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/xenon_bulbs.asp

I got part number 78151.

The pictures I took comparing a regular Hella H4 compared to a Hella Xenon +50 bulb didn't turn out very well so I didn't post them.

I haven't done much night time riding so I can't really say if there was a noticeable difference. But from past experience on my car going from a regular H4 to just a +30 there was definately a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts