Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my first ride with my new Suomy Spec 1R helmet, and I like it very much, with a couple of exceptions. I went from an Arai Quantum f, size large, to the Spec 1R, also in large. (Arai's no-internet sales policy and absence of customer support made me look for alternatives.)

For me, the plusses of the Suomy, in addition to price and having changeable padding like the Arais, are less wind-buffeting at 60mph+, easier visor change-over, better peripheral vision, and no rubbing of the lower helmet edge on the collar of my jacket. Also, it seems to be a better fit, although--and this is one of the negatives--I do get some pressure on my forehead from the two snaps beneath the padding there. And despite an overall sense of greater quietness with the Suomy--here is the second negative--I do get a high-pitched whistle at higher speeds that I didn't experience with the Arai. Fiddling with padding might cure the former, and wearing earplugs, the latter.

All in all, I would recommend the Suomy Spec 1R to those looking for an alternative to Arai, subject of course to a try-on, if at all possible. While the Spec 1R is DOT approved, my helmet does not have a Snell certification sticker, and for some reason I have not been able to access the latest certification list on the Snell web site to see if the Spec 1R is included.

By the way, I purchased the Suomy from helmetharbor.com, who were very helpful and easy to deal with. With the purchase they included a second visor and a helmet bag.

Rob

P.S. I have no affiliation with either Suomy or helmetharbor.com, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm getting the same "whistle" from the bottom of the helmet. If I shrug my shoulders or play with the under side padding while at hiway speed that cures the problem.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Actually my Arai is the one with the whistle., although it's better when I don't pull down the front "spoiler". I find my Spec-1R to have much more wind noise than my Quantum 2 does.
Are the shields really easier to change? I was looking at the instructions and it seems like a major ordeal compared to the Arai system.

Overall I prefer my Suomy, but then again, I have a Hodgson replica...signed by Neal !   [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
F7 said:
One of the noisiest helms I've ever used.
that's what earplugs are for... =)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Ditto

(freeloader adding a post to his post count)

·
Registered
555 Posts
anyone have any experience with the Suomy Spec 1R Extreme? Its a different diffuser and vent system, so wonder if it still has any whistle issues. If no one can post up their experience with them, I will do so tomorrow because I just bought the Extreme today and will be doing a day ride tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
the extreme will be louder... more vents = not quieter. wear earplugs. very comfy, though....

·
Registered
555 Posts
derby said:
the extreme will be louder... more vents = not quieter. wear earplugs. very comfy, though....
While the Extreme may be louder than the regular Spec 1R, it is still quieter than my Arai RX7, though I always wear earplugs, so this isn't really an issue. Also, there was no whistle at all with my Spec 1R Extreme, at least not between 0 and 100 mph (indicated). I'm very happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts