Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Suzette led a group in the last ride but I don't know if she'll do it this time.

Let me recommend this ride again, as I know the people organizing it. It's a great way to learn the roads, be introduced to group rides and learn some critical tips on backroads riding. It's pretty tricky to learn this stuff on your own when you're starting out and find your way into group rides in a safe manner. Plus, you're likely to ride roads you wouldn't try otherwise. Past newbie rides were a blast for everybody and many continue to be regulars on the rides afterwards.

Pics from the last ride:
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4023&highlight=newbie+ride

If you're going let us know how it went.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone wants to come along, a group of riders are meeting at Laguna Sidewalk Cafe at 297 Page in SF at 8:30am on Sunday to ride down to Woodside for the newbie ride. The group is a both newbies and ride leaders.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I was kinda surprised to see the route included Kings Mountain road. I don't know the area too well, but I did a Doc Wong ride once and came down that road and it was a pretty gnarly goat trail, covered in pine needles. High pucker-factor for me and pretty damn challenging for a noob. Unless there's a different section they're talking about...

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess we'll see if it is the same one. At any rate, if there are half as many newbies alive at the end of the ride as there are at the beginning, I guess they will have managed--in a totally Machiavellian way--to keep the roads a little less crowded for themselves for future rides. :eek:

I'll try to bring a camera and post pics, but I may be be too busy trying to "unpucker." Looks like no DMLers are going so far.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I was kinda surprised to see the route included Kings Mountain road. I don't know the area too well, but I did a Doc Wong ride once and came down that road and it was a pretty gnarly goat trail, covered in pine needles. High pucker-factor for me and pretty damn challenging for a noob. Unless there's a different section they're talking about...
It's the same route as the Doc Wong ride, but at slower speeds, what on Doc Wong might be the D group pace. They keep legal speeds and follow advisory signs, so hairpins for example are taken at the posted 15mph (which would regularly be taken at 30mph). The small groups (3 riders) let the lead and sweep adjust the pace so everyone is riding within their ability. There's lots of stopping for discussion and preparation. The combination of slow speeds and technical roads keeps it safe but an interesting experience. I talked to a couple of riders who did this ride in the past, one was on a 954RR, the other on a 600RR (definitely not newbie friendly bikes) and they were stoked to have finished a route they wouldn't normally take.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
spidey, I should be there. I guess I will be the only other one on a Monster.
297 page in S. F. around 8/8:15

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I'm curious to hear how it goes. I have a friend at work who just bought himself a GS500 and is getting going slowly. I'd like to be able to suggest this ride if it is really for *new* riders, not just folks new to group riding. I'd like to keep him safe and avoid any bad experiences to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts