Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forecast is lookin' good! Time to begin thinking about a Sunday ride.

I'm leaning to an "early bird" ride out to Western MA, but I might be persuaded to do something more laid back here in the East.

Any takers either way.

"early bird" means something like 6AM departure from Littleton!
Gotta get to the twisties before everybody gets on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Whoa! 6AM!? That IS early!
I'm totally down with a W/MA ride. The roads I saw last weekend in W/MA were really, really nice. Clean, twisty, newly paved and best of all, very little traffic. Count me in!
Maybe you want to look at Rt. 9, 112, 20, 8, 57, 23. A combination of any or all of these roads would yield in a really sweet ride/loop!
T.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks T. I'll look at those roads.

I'm dying to get a crack at that bit of Rt 2 that crosses the MA MY border as well. I was in a minivan over that pass on Monday :(

I'll have to see it that's compatible with your roads.

You're out west already, aren't you?
I (or we) could meet you out there at a more civilized hour.

I know that Todne is up for the crack of dawn rides, but she'll just be getting back from her motorcycle vacation right about then. Dunno if anyone else shares my obsession for empty roads sufficiently to get out of bed well before dawn!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
D.- Well, I am down with the ride. Even if it's early.
If you guys leave the Boston area around 6am-ish, I could meet you somewhere out here about an hour later.
Just let me know when/where and I'll be there.
Maybe my friend Rachel would want to join you guys out in Boston and come out here as well. I can call her tonight.
The roads I mentioned are all looping within W/MA, but a variety of them branch off and head towards the NY border. There are many possibilities-it all depends on how long/how many miles you want to do. It's really nice scenery and the roads are real nice.
Last weekend I did a loop from Northampton, out to 66, down 112, across on 20 to Lee, and back the on same roads. It was about 120-140 miles round trip and I was beat by the time I pulled in to the driveway. Good riding to be had.
No chance of getting Miles in on the ride?
T.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mapped a ride that went out 2, back to North Adams and then looped on the roads you suggest. It was 305 mi starting and ending in Littleton.

When I cut the spur out Rt 2, it only dropped to 270.

Last long ride I did was a 362 mi solo. I was tired, but happy 8)

Miles is a no-go for this weekend. He's going up to Vt for a college reunion. He's riding which is good.

If you can get Rachel to go, great.

Last time I rode out there (to do VT100), I stopped at the McDonalds at exit 26 off I91 (you have to do one exit of 91 on the Rt 2 stretch), to take a leak and get a shot of coffee. There's a Friendly's next door that would be superior if one party had to wait a while for the others. Anyway, that's about an hour from the start and it's a good chance to stretch before the good turns start.

One minor detail to take care of. I have to tell my wife of my plans ;D I figure that if I get the rain gutter rebuilt on Saturday, I'm golden!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your buddy, would that be Steve (I think that was his name) on a Bimota SB8R? Lives somewhere around North Adams?

The guy passed me up Rt2 like I was standing still!

As for Rachel, a 300 mi ride may be a bit much for a green rider, but it's her call.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um, Tarik....

You can't even pass on a double yellow without exceeding 5k, can you?

No 7k, you can work with, but 5?

I got my monster with 2200 miles on it; pre-broken-in. I just had to hope it was done right. 11,700 mi now and everything seems ok.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Don, the hassle of a 'proper' break in is a real pain. I've been pampering the bike as if it were about to break at any moment. It's a pain. I go ALOT slower than I really want to 8)
I owned a race preped CB-1 and an NT-650 Hawk that was piped and jetted and, being Hondas, I never worried about 'break-ins', reliability, breakdowns, etc...
I'm trying to baby this one cuz I think I might keep this one [smiley=laugh.gif]. Believe it or not, it was My Duc or a new CBR 600RR. Ya, night and day, but in the end the sound of the Monster was more than enough to convince me :D
My max speed right now in 5th at 5k rpm is like 75mph ::)
What a drag...DOH!
T.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tarik,

I sent out an email last night to some of the usual suspects. No bites yet. So far it's just you and me.

I think I could be at exit 26 around 7:00. If you want to PM me a phone number, maybe I could call when I leave Littleton (of course if nobody signs of, I would have no reason to stop there).

Do you prefer to hang out at McD's or Friendly's? I'm not certain the big F is open before 7 on Sunday though.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tarik,

I talked with Rachel earlier today. We're set to meet at 6AM.

MapQuest puts the Littleton to Greenfield run at 65 mi so I'd expect to make it un something under an hour. I usually cruise at about 80. There's some 2-lane with posts so if there's traffic, we might slow down in that section.

I can call from Littleton just before punching the starter button. Don't know how long it will take you to make it to the meet. Presumably your run will be shorter than ours.

Still shooting for a 7AM meet at McD's.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Don,
Sounds great. Glad Rachel can come.
I'm going to look up the exit and make sure I know where the heck this McD's is ;)
I've got your celly-I'll plan on giving you a confirmation call tomorrow afternoon/eve.
Take care-can't wait to get on my bike!
;D
~Tarik

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This ride's history!

What a day. Perfect fall weather (well almost).

So, I maintain that the idea was a good one: hit the road early, cross the state, and be in the twisties by 7AM. Buuuuut..... one of us didn't set their alarm correctly and was 40 minutes late. Then Rachel and I rode out to Greenfield to pick up Tarik.

Well, it was cold. Then about 2/3 of the way there we dipped into the Pioneer valley and hit FOG! Big time. We couldn't see sh!t! And did I say it was cold?

So we get to the meet at MickyDees and Tarik's there, still shivering. And Rachel and I are shivering. It took a lot of hot chocolate and time in front of the hand dryers before we had the guts to head out into the fog again. By now it's 8:45. The schedule had us heading out at 7! That's a bit of a slip.

Not two miles out, we broke out of the fog and the sky was crystal blue. It stayed that way for the rest of the day. Glorious! Roads were great. I stuck in a spur on rt 2 going over a pass into NY. The rest were Tarik's suggestions: Rt 8, Rt 20, Rt 112 and Rt 116. Great curves. Good pavement and traffic we could pass at will.

Tarik broke off at Rt 66 (just after I took the photo below). Rachel and I had a great breakfast/lunch at a hole-in-the-wall diner. Jusy what I like on adventures like this.

I got home at 3:15, about an hour and a quarter late. Considering the delay at the start, I think my planning was pretty good! I then got to sit on the patio in 70 degree weather and nurse a few brews. What a life? I think I'll call in sick tomorrow ;D

I know it's a crappy pic, but it's the best I have. I put the camera on the ground and used the timer. Exposure stinks. My bike is NOT orange! (having trouble with the link. go to travel and events and look at the 9-7-03 NEHMA group ride shot)

My total mileage was 370. Rachel's had to be about the same. Tarik's was something less.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Don,
Excellent pic ;D
Good road selection!
It was great meeting you and riding today. The roads were awesome and the weather, after our initiall flirt with hypothermia, was excellent.
I highly recommend these rides everyone!
Count me in any time.
Awesome day-I just can't get the huge grin off my face ;D
Now, time to throw back a few Coronas....ahhhhhh....
~Tarik

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Hey guys,

That ride sounded real cool! I hope I can make one before that cool weather becomes the norm. VT was a great trip-beautiful roads and weather and great company ( a couple buddies on a 748 and a R1). I'll try and post some pics in the travel section as well.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm already thinking of a Kancamagus run for early October if weather cooperates.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Had to leave town over the weekend (unplanned) and missed a splendid ride (from all the postings). Hope to join you next weekend.

Paul
:'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We'll have to see if Miles and the other guys get a ride going on Sunday. If I go, I'm gonna be in deep sh!t at home.

I know you can count on T33. He's itchin' to put more miles on that new bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts