Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, I wear an all black full Arai generally when I ride although recently I have been thinking about a half head or a beanie. What do some of you folks wear in the summer, under the searing sun?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
it's your head, so its up to you. personally i'd rather sweat than bleed. i bet it would be no fun having to reconstruct your face after smacking the pavement at speed. :-/

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
full helmet, gloves, joe rocket jacket and pants, and oxtar boots. no matter what the weather.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I just took the MSF course again and they said the most likely parts of your head to impact the ground are the side and back, which a beanie helmet doesn't cover.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
A helmet with good ventilation, like my Shoei RF-1000 does a good job of cooling my head as long as I'm moving. It's so good, in fact, that I find it necessary to close the vents when it's cold out.

I've had two occasions when street riding when my helmet touched the ground, once in 1986 and once in 2003. In both cases the front chin guard had the most damage. There is no way I would wear anything other than a full coverage helmet on a motorcycle.

Imagine doing this wearing a beanie:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Scott, is that post cattleguard?

·
Registered
413 Posts
A girl in our MSF class wanted to wear a beanie or half helmet and was told she had to wear a full . She ended up dropping the bike several times (she quit the class after 1 hour) during the first hour. At any rate, the instructor showed us the dent in her helmet from falling over at a standstill---a beanie or half lid would not have protected her. Further more, he said that the full helmet rule for MSF classes was because of a fatality that they had had due to a non-full lid.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I wear my skid lid on hot days and love it. If I was gonna hit the twisties or commute in traffic I wear the full face. For just crusing on a nice day I can't bring myself to wear it...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
While out riding a dirt bike when I was 12 yrs old with an open face helmet, (doing jumps with trees close by) I managed to break my jaw, loose 2 teeth + require 47 stiches.... I'm almost sure I could have walked away from that one IF I had a full face helmet on. The bike only suffered a bent fork slider, bent bars and busted brake lever.

Just my $.02

I enjoy my Arai Signet GTR!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
where i live it's hot and usually dry.
its more uncomfortable to open up the face shield and let the hot air hit you in the face.

cooler cracked open just a little.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Totally agree... Here in Phoenix, AZ(AKA Haiti during the summer) it gets to be about 115 degrees... with out a face cover, it feels like it is cooking the insides of you nostrils!!! I prefer a full face helmet...

Plus, on the other front, I used to ride to lunch without my gear on, then one day I caught a little gravel spot and the back end slide about half a foot over it... no big deal... just scared me a little... At 25 mph around a corner, to take a spill with nothing on... ouch! I always wear everything I have... I do step down to an AGV mesh jacket in the summer, but I am saving for a better one...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the idea of having my face rubbing against the concret going even 30mph does not sound appealing to me,full face no matter how hot ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I was younger, I NEVER wore a helmet. had a couple get offs, but nothing big and do problems associated with no helmet.

The first summer I spent with a helmet (full face) I hated it. First, I removed the checkpads, then the visor. I got soe goggles so I could still see. It looked really retro and went with the bike them.

I also tried the skull helmet, but it won't stay situated.

Now, I am full time Arai. It has good enough ventilation that its bearable, but nothing beats no helmet. I finally realized I enjoyed my face to much to spend it on some asphalt.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every since they removed our helmet law here in PA, I have been tempted to leave my lid home for a 3 block ride to the mall. Yet I never seem to go thru with it. I guess I got smarter in my old age. All those old head trauma's must of knocked some sense into me after all.
My first R1 crash too 3 months of memories from me and left me careless. During that time I knocked up the wife. I did not remeber having sex with her at all. The day before my crash I returned home from a 6 month business trip. I got home late and went riding with my friends. Landed on my head with my Arai RX7rr3. I did not believe the baby was mine until he was born. I was convinced she cheated. But held my tongue. I did not remember anything more then a few hours. So I took her word for it. Thank God I kept my mouth shut. For med reasons we had to have genetic testing done. Poor little baasterd had my HUGE head. So they made sure he was ok. And at the same time confirmed what I already knew. He is my son. You don't have an 8 lb baby head and not know he is yours.
If I had been riding with anything less I would probably be dead. 2 years later I had another high side with the same injury. Except it only lasted a week or so. My memory has never been the same. Helmets GOOD. Pavement HARD. Skulls BREAK......
The real question. If I did not crash, would I have a son right now. I guess I will never know.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My buddy has been in a nursing home for 10 years, blind and brain-damaged. Went off the road at about 30 mph, when a chick he was toting shifted her weight hard in a corner and sent him off the road.
The new Arai Corsairs have a lot of vents, get silver or white, dark colors attract heat.
I was in Phoenix last week, tons of debris on road getting kicked up. The semi-truck tire treads are all over the road in the summer due to heat blowouts. Catch one of those in the face and it's over.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Of the two crashes I referred to above in the post showing my helmet from October 4 of last year, the first one (1986) was on a trip to the auto parts store which was just a mile away. I gave my RZ-350 a little too much brake at the corner at the end of my street and the front end slid out and dropped me on the ground. It was a good thing I had put the helmet on. Unfortunately I didn't feel that I needed gloves and still have some scars on my right hand from that. I was only going about 20 mph when I hit the road, but that was enough to scrap a layer of skin off of my knee and do some more serious scraping on my right hand.

You can't predict when something is going to go wrong. Wear a decent helmet and gloves even for a trip around the block, and full gear if you're going any distance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts