Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How crazy. After almost 40 years of owning and wrenching on bikes, I'm stumped with the most basic of maintenance tasks.

This is a new 2004 Monster S4R, my first Ducati.

First the oil filter. I'm a little overdue for the first service and don't have time or inclination to pay the dealer $300 to change oil, filter and gas filter. Oil drain- easy. Remove oil filter- not easy. I have about six kinds of oil filter wrenches including a bucket type that fits it perfectly, but nothing will budge it. I have now warped it with torque. Not a word about it in the owners manual. Guess Ducati owners don't change their own oil;~) Is there some kind of set screw? If I don't hear different, I'll just drive a screwdriver into it and tear it off that way.

Then there's the chain. The owners manual that came with the bike is for the S4, the one with double swing arms. Of course I have the single swing arm. I understand I'm to loosen the two bolts on top of the axle then turn the nut that moves an eccentric. Was I supposed to get a tool to turn that nut with the bike? Should it be easy to turn after loosening the nuts quite a bit?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
steve i have had to remove the factory installed oil filters with a large set of pliers twice. crush the filter and crank it off!!!! i have the "socket" filter wrench and it works fine after the original is removed. as far as the chain cant help you there, i wish you luck.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Mine was on a little tight, but I got it off without crushing it. I have the ducati oil filter wrench from www.motostrano.com which may make it easier...it goes on the rachet and crank away!

Let me know how that chain adjustment goes. I'd like to know how to do it as well.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Mine wouldn't come off so I bought another bike to ride.
I ended up tearing the whole filter apart in the removal process leaving just the bease plate. I tried everything and consulted everybody - NO luck!

I ended up having a machine shop make a specail "socket" with spikes to match the oil filter base plate flow holes. With this $100 "custom tool", it came off with ease.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours is exactly the scenerio I'm concerned about. Tearing it up top the point that it takes a crowbar and a ten-pound hammer to get the remains off.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm in the same flippin boat. I stabbed it with a screw driver - no luck. It's now torn partially and I don't want to go any farther. So you recommend crushing it and then using a heavy set of clamps/pliars?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The factory filter on my bike had to be removed with brute force and a screwdriver driven through it... It was a mess. But I couldn't get it off any other way. I didn't put too much thought into it when I did it - I think if I would have thought about it more, I would have scared myself into not doing it. It worked out OK in the end. I ended up having to stab it twice. The first attempt it just tore the filter and still wouldn't budge, but the 2nd stab; a cleaner stab closer to the engine; worked. Made sure I purcahsed a filter with a nut as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
How about a plain old strap wrench? I haven't needed one for my oil filter. I bought the bike used. But I do use one every month to change a water filter in my basement which is housed in a plastic cylinder that screws on and mates up the same way as an oil filter. It takes tremendous force to break it loose because the gasket is dry (no oil here). The strap wrench works perfectly. I pasted in a couple of examples I found with a Yahoo search.

Rob

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200306401&R=200306401&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=handtool

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddegelmlfkcehgcemgdffmdggh.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0033900150001800085&pid=00945571000

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried the strap wrench, but the thing just didn't have the strength to hold on.... Figure one of these will work better...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
the problem at the factory is they put them on dry, no oil on the rubber to aluminum interface. I had a hell of a time as well but did get it. And if you do tear it up, rent that other dudes special tool to get it off. It's not like he needs it anymore.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
One of the best tools for removing an oil filter from a Ducati engine is a plain old pipe wrench. It provides just enough grip to turn the filter and not a bit more. If it needs more, it automatically tightens until the filter turns.

Get yourself one of these:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
roysteve said:
... If I don't hear different, I'll just drive a screwdriver into it and tear it off that way.
I've had to do that a couple times... kinda rewarding, having the warm oil spill out over your hand immediately after stabbing into it.

Tip - drill a pilot hole, and use the biggest screwdriver you have.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Just a note guys...I had this same kind of problem with my car once. The dealer tightened the filter so hard that they literally deformed the filter. As a result the filter cup wouldnt fit properly. I had to take it to jiffy lube to get it removed. Turns out they have a really neat tool that grabs onto any filter and torques it off. I just paid them 2 bucks to do it, put on the new filter and went home to do the oil change.

·
Registered
832 Posts
roysteve said:
How crazy. After almost 40 years of owning and wrenching on bikes, I'm stumped with the most basic of maintenance tasks.

This is a new 2004 Monster S4R, my first Ducati.

Then there's the chain. The owners manual that came with the bike is for the S4, the one with double swing arms. Of course I have the single swing arm. I understand I'm to loosen the two bolts on top of the axle then turn the nut that moves an eccentric. Was I supposed to get a tool to turn that nut with the bike? Should it be easy to turn after loosening the nuts quite a bit?
My S4r owners book says take it to a dealer for chain adjustment!!!

Ita

1 - 17 of 17 Posts