Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure I am going to Sport bike track time at Jennings the last week of May. Is any body else going to be there? I am going to make it a vacation and heading to Panama City or Gulf Shores after that and spend a week on the beach...with my bike (oh yeah, and my wife).

I know little about Jennings. I imagine it will be hot in late May. Are there any hotel suggestions?

And what about STT? I hear they are absolutely wonderful to deal with.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I may try to be at Jennings that weekend. I have to recheck the schedule, but I think STT is also there in March. If I can make both, great. If I have to choose, I'm not sure which one it'll be.

I've ridden Jennings twice. Once at Code's school and once at STT. Loved both experiences and will probably only do Jennings on STT events from now on.

Check the track's webpage for numbers to some of the motels around there. Jennings House is usually the cheapest, but books up way ahead. I stayed at the Days Inn at the next exit 6 miles south of the Jennings exit once -$60 per night. There are also Scottish Inns at the Jennings exit and the next one to the south and acouple of other choices.
My daughter and I went up the evening before the second event (STT) and camped at the track. That's the best way because paddock spaces are first come-first served. Free camping and they've got decent showers and stuff.

That time of year it could be hot(hi 80s) already or nice and cool (70s), depending on whether a cool front moves through. When I went last Sept it was 91 and we were all dying. Then in Nov it was beautiful going from 50s in the morning to low 70s in the afternoon.

Hopefully we'll see each other there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark

If you do happen to go the end of May (22nd and 23rd I believe), give me a holler. Always nice to ride with another monster.

T

·
0 Posts
I might head down there. Where do you live cow? Will this be your first track day?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I have done a couple at Putnam Park in Indiana. I live in Louisville, Ky. My reservations are set for STT, those guys seem to be super nice. I am really looking forward to it. Hope to see you there.

Sam 8)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm still a maybe for that weekend, but I have to go to D.C. on a trip with my daughter the following week so I'm not sure yet.

STT is a great track day provider. I did Moroso with them in Feb and just did Jennings with them last week. I'm riding as fast as I am capable of and feel way safer than on the street. The coaching and instruction on track that I get in the Novice group is leading me to constant improvement. And because it is a club, I see lots of the same people at every event. It's as much like a social gathering as it is about getting on the track. Everyone is always walking around saying hi to people they know from previous track days.

W

·
0 Posts
Hello guys,

I have a question about the STT track days. I'm in Atlanta and was thinking about doing a one-day at Taladega GP on 6/5. My question is this:

Is it doable to ride out (1.5 hrs), do the track day, and ride home? Is that too much? Since I don't have a trailer, storage/cargo room to bring stuff will be nil. What do I really need since they will have food and drinks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If the bike and tires are in good shape, it's doable with maybe one problem area - extra gas. I'm not keen on recommending it, though.

I've seen people ride into Jennings and stash the bags or backpacks and tape over the lights and mirrors, etc.

But, on my M 900 a full track day uses 4 gallons. If the track has gas or you can make arrangements with someone else there, you could probably pull it off.

And then, if you fall off, you may not have a ride home either.

At a minimum you would need to wear all your riding gear, carry tape, basic tools to adjust and tighten anything, and a tire guage. I'm sure other stuff would be real handy.

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks Mark, You pretty much confirmed everything that I was thinking.

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts