Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the best way to strip the paint from a tank? Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
if it's Damaged & needs a full respray, then use Paint Stripper & start from scratch.

If it's a small repair, the repair can be fixed, Prepared properly & touched up without the need to respray.

The std Ducati factory finish is fairly Impressive as far as coatings go. As compared to a car that normally has an "Orange Peel" Effect.

Unless your Competent with a spray gun & Even more competent with the Underneath repairs, (ie. The work that goes into preparation makes the final finish) it would be better to get a Professional to do the job for you.

Just my Suggestion!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you want to remove the paint, & it's a stock tank, have it sandblasted. But......why do you want to remove the paint? If you're repainting, just scuff the exsisting paint with 400 wet, & paint away.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to remove all the paint because somebody had tried to sand thru the majority of it so it is spotted all over. I went to napa and they had a spray on stripper and it worked pretty well, I finished it off with a wire wheel and then sand blasted the rest. It came out very clean, so next step is to fill the love tap on the side and spray. I'll post some pics when it's done. Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts