Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to put a helicoil insert in a Mikuni float bowl? I've stripped the thread where the banjo bolt connects the oil line and I'd like to avoid replacing the float bowl.... :( :-[

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Been there, dunnit.
Had a shop to do it.
Compare to spare cost first, over here a new costed 60 Eu.

But first time it leaked I fixed w Ducati Bond and very sensitive fastening.
If the threads aren`t totally toasted, try it first.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
interesting, I was wondering what might happen here.

when I stripped out the threads for my oil sensor, my machinist told me that I was not going to be able to use a helicoil to fix it. He suggested using a kingsert or something similar with a solid construction.

were you told you can't use the helicoil because there's not enough metal, or because the oil fitting is a concern?

unfortunately, there wasn't enough metal to bore out for the size kingsert that I needed, so we just made our own adapter out of some bar aluminum stock...

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Well, the shop mechanic said it was tricky but he made it! It sure can be done.
Cost me 50 Eu so compared to 60 for a new it was pricey.
So hopefully you are better off w a new one!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told the thread wasn't deep enough for a helicoil - you need to go right through it, he said... It certainly looks like an ordinary thread tap wouldn't work as the taper is too long - you wouldn't be able to reach the whole way. Still, they do them somehow in the first place..... I'm told a replacement is about 35 pounds (about $65) but not available until January next year! Any DML sponsors stock Mikuni spares? I can't wait that long!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right Green! I got it done at a proper old fashioned engineering shop - the guy said he wasn't sure it would work but since it was f***ed anyway it was worth a try. He fitted a Helicoil and it cost 20 pounds (30 euros or $40) I'm just glad I don't have to wait until January for a replacement! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Good!

I got it done at a proper old fashioned engineering shop
Same here. My shop had ship pistons as bar stools at the counter 8) and
been in business for 60 years. They really know what they are doin...
Never underestimate experience, that goes for women , too. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.