Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a stripped bolt, the one that holds the front fender. Any suggestions on removing this b!tch! THX!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you strip the head or the threads?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
try drilling a small hole through the diameter of the bolt and thread some wire through (use the wire as a lever to loosen the bolt)...

or drill through the bolt and it should fall out.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bolt was a little rusted and the head gave like warm butter (cheap a$$ bolts). If I drill through it, won't there be the possibility that I will not be able to run another bolt through that thread? :-/

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the dealer service techs drilled out a bolt that I'd broken the head off... if you try drilling it, you'll have to use a smaller sized bit than the threaded hole... I've never done it before so can't tell you from 1st hand exp. They probably tapped it out with a punch or something after drilling a hole through it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Some extractor kits (EZ-Out is a brand) come with an appropriately sized left-hand twist bit for each one. You chuck that into a reversable drill and run it in reverse.

Many times the drilling alone will break the bolt loose and you won't even need to use the extractor.

I like the idea above of looking inside to see if the bolt protrudes. If it does, use locking pliers. Otherwise you'll just bung up the threads with little liklihood of getting it out.

But be warned, if you bung up any protruding threads, you'll be struggling later if you have to go the extractor route; you won't be able to get the threads back through the nut :(

S

·
0 Posts
Does the bolt head protrude ?
If so, maybe you can cut a groove across the head and use a flat screwdriver (assisted by a spanner or such like ;)) to tease it out...?
...Simon

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
You can also weld a nut on the end of the stub. MIG works well, weld through the centre of the nut.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Cut a grove in it with a dremel or cut off wheel. Soak it in WD-40 for a few hours and then use the grove and a big flat head driver to twist it out.

D

·
0 Posts
File a flat on opposite sides and simply use a wrench, after soaking it overnight in "liquid wrench" purchased from any Kragen shop.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
this should be added to the FAQ section - great ideas out there!

just picturing the title... "to strip or not to strip"

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I stripped a stainless hex screw i put in my coffin reservior and mercilessly dremeled at it for some time trying to get it to fit with a square bit (harder than i thought). i dremeled away some paint in the messy process. a friend happened to have some left-handed screw extractors so i abandoned the torture and the screw came out with no effort!!! if you can't get at the inside end with some needle-noses i highly recommend the extractors to be easy on your surrounding components and nerves!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
oh yeah, with the extractor you only have to drill the head for a circular hole of minimal depth, so you won't have to worry about ruining the nut threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts