Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ducatisti,
if you plan to try to put the new style mirrors on you S4Rs, hold on. I just got the parts myself and realized that the screws do not match. The S4Rs mirrors are M10x25 but the new mirrors from the Streetfighter use M8x25. Options:
1) replace the clamp of the brake/clutch with the ones from the Streetfigther
2) bore the new mirror by 1mm (not a big deal) and find a M10x25 and an M10x25 reverse thread. The latter may be a real challenge!
3) return the mirror and give up
I am going to gather info on (1) and (2) and let you know how it goes. In case you wonder why I am going through this much trouble, I really hate the stock mirrors and I do not like the bar ends approach but I may have to reconsider.

BTW do not take the stock mirrors off your Monster until you are ready to replace them. Why? Once you see how very very much better the bike looks without them, you will never want those ugly [blip] back on it! Do not say I did not warn you! ;-)

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Redmonster900 I 100% understand. My S4 came with the Mickey Mouse ears and totaly brought down the bikes look. I changed them with the DP Carbon Fiber low profile mirrors and they made the bike look so much better.

Your bike is looking good.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: mods completed, it looks awesome!

check it out for yourself

http://picasaweb.google.com/andrea.mariotti/S4Rs?feat=directlink

NOTE: I had to purchase the following
- both mirrors from Streetfigther or Monster 1100 S
- both bolts for the mirrors (one is reverse threaded)
- both spare brackets for the clutch and brake. You have to replace these since the one on the S4Rs are for the "Mikey mouse" stock mirror (I love that label, JR's01S4 you are so right!). The stock mirror's threads are M10, the Streetfigher's mirror use M8 so you SOL.

Just took the bike for a ride and the new mirror give you the same rear view as the old ones *but* they are ten times more stable especially on freeway speed and they look so, so much better! Sure 1/3 of them is filled with your elbows but what is left is what counts since it is the tallest part.

This is an easy albeit expensive mod but I really like the overall result since the mirror are low and streamlined and yet plenty big to see behind you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
RedMonster900 congrats on getting out of the Mickey Mouse Ears Club.

You are correct it is not a cheap Mod but then again I would pay to get out of that club.

·
Registered
635 Posts
RedMonster900,

If you had gone the Rizoma way? Same amount of money and equally good looks...!!!

Actually, I don't know if they would fit my XX9 masters... Do ya?

Will try that on my M620D, maybe this coming year... First, suspension and brakes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accept with information: Just took the bike for a ride and the new mirror give you the same rear view as the old ones *but* they are ten times more stable especially on freeway speed and they look so, so much better! Sure 1/3 of them is filled with your elbows but what is left is what counts since it is the tallest part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a preview of how the S4 looks with the new mirrors. Also, I ordered the spare brackets from the Monster 1100S/StreetFighter, they should fit no problem. I will update when I actually get it installed...

http://picasaweb.google.com/andrea.mariotti/S4Rs?feat=directlink

Your mirrors look great. I busted by left one, and am looking for one. Now that I see yours, I'm not so sure, they really look good. I have a black 08 S2r1000, not sure if you'd consider it a "real monster" or not:rolleyes:

Your mirrors do look great.
-Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mickey Mouse ears, I love it! Now I don't feel so bad about busting my left one... though it does look pretty bad with one Mickey Mouse ear. Thanks for the laugh.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
any pics of this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
RedMonster900 has a link to some great pics of her bike, with the Streetfighter mirrors. My bike, just looks sad. Though I'll have to say, I took the right mirror off, to see how it's threaded, and wow, she looks great with no mirrors, just not legal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts