Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article in the new Motorcyclist magazine on making a 620 better with a $1500 budget. COOL! [clap] They must have read my mind, as now I plan to do a "pimp my ride" on the lil' Monster so it doesn't feel as lonesome and neglected like the last time I put it aside for a new bike. Monster Challenge '07 here I come! 8)

Please throw ideas up here if you have anything to add to that article!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Superleggera said:
Small budget. Thus are you looking for cosmetics or performance? And do you want to do the work yourself -- else you have labor charges also.
Yes, small budget. I have a small paycheck :( Me turn the wrenches though? Hmmm, might be fun I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I am REALLY not mechanically inclined. The only thing I have ever tried to do myself to the Monster was replace the broken beer tray. It was easy enough to do. Picture me in the garage, schematics in hand and tools at the ready, gung ho I go at it presto chango I DID IT (oh I was SO proud of myself!!) but somehow I screwed up the electricals going to the back of the bike :-\ AZSBK was kind enough to fix that for me at no charge. Guess they figured they got their payment in the form of a good story and laughter after I left. [laugh]

Superleggera said:
If performance -- upgrade fork (swap for SBK) and Penske rear shock. Go double disc on front if you don't have it currently. Replace brake masters with non-coffins! No use touching the engine as nothing to gain or screwing with its reliability. If anything left over, go for a HID headlight upgrade within the existing housing.
Definately needs performance upgrades, most bang for the buck there.

Superleggera said:
If cosmetics -- coolest thing is powdercoating wheels/frame after a quick disassembly to truly differentiate your bike from all the others. Powdercoating is fairly cheap also. Some people go crazy with paint, but funky graphics are usually distateful on the Monster itself. Do the tailchop before it goes to powdercoating. Upgrade the side seat panels or add a rear cowl.
Oh yeah, I want it different cosemtically, a dark Monster seems to be a perfect canvas for that. But, the frame and the wheels are black, and I like that so I don't think I want to change that.

Thanks for your suggestions Mark!! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Hey SM,
I think I've dumped a little under $1500 in upgrades on my 620, and it's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT MACHINE than the one I drove home from the dealership. I've canibalized the rear suspension parts off of the sbk's, removed a bunch of "non-essential" parts, and added some go-fast goodies... all on a tight budget. I'd have to say that the 14t and the lightened flywheel are on the top of the list as far as performance/value. As for looks, I've only got one word for ya... LANDSHARK!!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rule62 said:
So SM... you got anything done to the little Monster, or is she collecting cob-webs like the last time you purchased something faster?
It is collecting cobwebs at the moment, both bikes are. I just got back to town a couple of hours ago. ;) Who broke the thermostat here?!?!?!? BRRRRRRR!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts