Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or two ago, I noticed a little lump in the paint on the back right corner of the tank.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
sounds like a pinhole in the gas tank. I'd bet if you poke it, gas will come out. I've seen that before, but on rusted tanks.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had this happen around my gas cap after a repaint. I was told it IS caused by a small hole, and when the tank gets hot, the fumes expand and push out the hole, and up into the paint.

It looks like crap..I say POP it and push it back down and hope it doesn't look bad. I don't think the holes are big enough for any signifigant ammount of gas to leak out...if any. But I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to keep an eye on it. I punctured it with a scribe and tried to flatten it, but the paint is stretched into the bubble shape now. The tank is full, and I can't smell any gas odor, even after "milking" the bubble and sniffing for fumes.

I'll probably end up looking under the paint and then fixing it just to see what it is.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sounds like a leak to me too, but it seems like an odd place for a leak & you would smell gas for sure if it was. Pop it & start looking. If it is any kind of leak, you can fix it easily with POR-15. They sell a kit specifically for motorcycle tanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I gotta tell you guys, all this talk about engine component and tank paint bubbles is really freaking me out. I'm nervously checking my '03 620 everyday!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today, there was a new bubble almost as big as the first just outside the fuel cap ring :mad:

Now I'm puzzled and alarmed. I don't want to have to cover the tank in bullet hole decals or any other cheezy fix. I hope this isn't something like "tank measles".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Howie,
If the tank has been repainted (mine has), what is the cause of a blister in the paint? Is there a relatively painless fix?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the factory paint job, so it's odd that it's just popping up after almost 9 years.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you should remove the tank and inspect it very carefully for rust. What you have doesn't exactly sound like rust, but better safe than sorry. Seems like finish defaults would show up way before nine years, and rust takes time. Anyway, with the tank off it will be easier to take it to someone to check it out.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
On a 9 year old tank, it could very well be rust, do a visual inspection of the insides. It's common to get rust just above the fuel level when a bike is stored.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's weird - still. Inside of tank looks pretty clean, fuel filter has never shown any rust particles. I sliced into the bubbles and found it's all between the primer and surface coat. The upper half of the primer is damaged a little by whatever caused the bubbles, but the bottom of the primer coat and the metal underneath is clean and sound.

At least no new bubbles today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts