Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the new dual compound powers? Mine are brand new and after getting them mounted (I didn't look closely at them before this) I noticed what kind of feels like raised lines running down each side of the tire, but more pronounced on the left side than on the right. The lines seem perfectly parallel. It's more visible when the light hits it from a certain angle, but very obvious when you feel it. I tried to take a pic but I couldn't capture it...They feel like there's cords or belts close to the surface of the rubber-- Is this is normal? A defect? My old single compound powers didn't have this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
they've been available in the states for at least 4 or 5 months. according to a Mich. tire rep, they're not worth the price difference over reg pilot powers. you might be marginally better edge grip, but they'll definitely wear faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My front is a regular power, and when I look at that one in the light I can see a faint even pattern of lines but it's perfectly smooth. On the rear tire I can feel some of those lines in directly between the center and the edge... not so far over as where the yellow and red meet in that pic.








Also you can see that one deep additionl groove going down the tire as well. The lines I was describing feel more like they're poking out from beneath the rubber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
I believe this came up before and the explanation had to do with how they are molded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
A dude I know stopped using michelins because they delaminated or something - and they looked like that only much deeper when I saw them. If it's the same thing (it'll get worse if it is), don't expect more than a few hundred miles out of that tire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
b.h. said:
they've been available in the states for at least 4 or 5 months. according to a Mich. tire rep, they're not worth the price difference over reg pilot powers. you might be marginally better edge grip, but they'll definitely wear faster.
I bet Michelin would like to talk to this 'rep'.

The 2CT's are much better than the regular Powers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
146 Posts
This has been discussed on DSC and Michelin say the line is an anti-static strip. Read here
Sounds like nonsense but has not caused me a problem. First Power did 3450 miles but 2CT has now done over 2k miles with plenty left and looks like will last longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Chupa said:
I bet Michelin would like to talk to this 'rep'.

The 2CT's are much better than the regular Powers.
it's not like you can actually buy tires from Michelin. you have to buy them from a rep, so if he's hurting anyone's business it's his own.

maybe it depends on what your definition of "better" is?
last longer, better grip, better feel, better profile, warm up quicker?

his comment was made during a riders meeting at a track day.
to paraphrase, he said: if you find that you need more edge grip buy a set of power race. 2ct's will only offer a minimal advantage over the pilot powers, while wearing out faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
b.h. said:
it's not like you can actually buy tires from Michelin. you have to buy them from a rep, so if he's hurting anyone's business it's his own.

maybe it depends on what your definition of "better" is?
last longer, better grip, better feel, better profile, warm up quicker?

his comment was made during a riders meeting at a track day.
to paraphrase, he said: if you find that you need more edge grip buy a set of power race. 2ct's will only offer a minimal advantage over the pilot powers, while wearing out faster.
I agree with him. The "regular" Powers are an awesome tire. If you need more go to a race tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
For mixed road usage, the center of my Powers have been wearing faster than the edges. I'd be more interested in 2CTs if they used a harder compound in the center, but maybe that's just 'cause a '99 M900 doesn't spin up the rear quite like a modern liter-bike will [laugh]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
CRASH! said:
For mixed road usage, the center of my Powers have been wearing faster than the edges. I'd be more interested in 2CTs if they used a harder compound in the center, but maybe that's just 'cause a '99 M900 doesn't spin up the rear quite like a modern liter-bike will [laugh]
Yeah, this is what I'd like to see. Initially this is what I thought the 2CTs were. I can't see myself ever wanting to push the bike hard enough on the street to NEED more than what the regular powers can handle, but do enough highway driving to warrant something harder in the center.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top