Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm moving to VA soon and a friend kindly offered to let me store my bike in their walk-in basement for the winter. One thing that concerns me is the fumes the gas may generate. Should I completely drain the tank before I tuck it away? I've stored stuff before in garages(full tank of gas with stabil), but that doesnt seem like the best option in this case. A basement is more closed in, and I dont want my generous hosts complaining of the smell/encountering possible problems. Is my concern well founded?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
rrover454 said:
So, I'm moving to VA soon and a friend kindly offered to let me store my bike in their walk-in basement for the winter. One thing that concerns me is the fumes the gas may generate. Should I completely drain the tank before I tuck it away? I've stored stuff before in garages(full tank of gas with stabil), but that doesnt seem like the best option in this case. A basement is more closed in, and I dont want my generous hosts complaining of the smell/encountering possible problems. Is my concern well founded?
Yes they are. If you put the bike in a warm basement the gas tank could vent fumes. Unfortunately an empty tank will cause rust. How about storing the full tank , with Sta-Bil, outside with the bike in the basement?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I could get them to let me store the tank in the garage and the bike in the basement. I've never removed the tank before. is it very involved? what is the best method to block the fuel lines so fuel doesnt get out and dirt doesnt get in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
rrover454 said:
maybe I could get them to let me store the tank in the garage and the bike in the basement. I've never removed the tank before. is it very involved? what is the best method to block the fuel lines so fuel doesnt get out and dirt doesnt get in?

try installing those quick release fuel line connectors. after you install them, you just depress a tab and they disconnect and there is a check valve in there so the fuel doesn't spill out. some (or all?) SBKs come with those from factory I was told. my neighbor has a 748r and a Monster and he put a set of those connectors on the Monster. I'm thinking of getting a set myself
MM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I would start with one of our sponsors first [thumbsup] if they don't have them, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
ducpainter said:
Yes they are. If you put the bike in a warm basement the gas tank could vent fumes. Unfortunately an empty tank will cause rust. How about storing the full tank , with Sta-Bil, outside with the bike in the basement?
Why is that? From the way I understood it, the tank would only emit fumes if the gas was warmed up (moving inside for example) and it expanded. Once held at a constant temperature, I would think that the tank wouldn't emit much.

-Danimal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
Danimal said:
Why is that? From the way I understood it, the tank would only emit fumes if the gas was warmed up (moving inside for example) and it expanded. Once held at a constant temperature, I would think that the tank wouldn't emit much.

-Danimal
Stick your nose over a gas can outside. Gasoline is pretty volatile and will create fumes even at a constant temp. The tank is vented and the fumes will collect along the floor being heavier than air. If there are any gas appliances with pilots it could get nasty. It wouldn't be fair to his friends.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so, if I completely drain the tank, there is still the posibility of rust? I and the bike are leaving really soon and it might be a hassel to get and install the quick release valves. just wondering how bad an empty tank for the winder would be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
rrover454 said:
so, if I completely drain the tank, there is still the posibility of rust? I and the bike are leaving really soon and it might be a hassel to get and install the quick release valves. just wondering how bad an empty tank for the winder would be
Any time bare metal is exposed to air there is the possibility of rust. Maybe drain the tank as much as possible, you can never get it all out, and spray some WD-40 or fogging oil in the filler. It can't hurt and might even help. YMMV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, to be absolutely safe on all fronts, I found a garaged space to keep it for the winter. my bike will be happy and my mind will be at ease
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top