Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello my fellow duc riders. I just got my beloved 1997 Monster M900 this past August and now it is gone! I had it parked in my apartment complex behind the garbage dumpster covered with front disc brake locked. It appeared to be a pro job since another bike parked next to mine was jacked as well. They most likely had a truck/van and just lifted them right up. I am hoping that members/guests of this board will help out a ducless rider. The bike was last seen at 11/8/06 in my apartment parking lot at Little Ferry, NJ 07643. Below are all the parts that were installed and bike info. If you notice any of these parts being sold, or the bike itself, please, please let me know. I can be reached at ###########################. I am offering a reward for any solid leads to its recovery. Attached is a pic. Thank you. -Ted

VIN#: ZDM1RC4N0VB013302
NJ LIC#: 1230K
CRG adjustable brake levers and Master Cylinder
Yoyodyne Clutch Slave Cylinder
Nichols Aluminum Flywheel
Barnett Dryflex Clutch
Rear carbon fiber fender
Breather
Nichols carbon fiber crank case cover
Fast by Ferracci Forca exhaust
Corbin seat
Bar-end Mirrors
fender eliminator kit
carbon fiber side panels
Stage I jet kit
K&N Jet air filter
Carbon fiber tank pad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Although this one's gonna hurt for a while. It was all a perfect setup. I was going to ride it one last time this past Sat. (as perfect of a day as it gets for Northern NJ) and retire it for the winter in my friend's garage... But that wasn't meant to be.

I have a good feeling that the perpetrators are nearby (a.k.a. neighbors) but I don't know how to stake out or prove anything solid. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them. In fact, I'm open to just about anything that can lead me to the bastards.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
scan ebay and craigslist

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
that sucks hope u were covered with ins. been hearing about alot of bikes in north nj being stolen like this. my friend had his cbr stolen from in front of his apt. and heard about another bike stolen from in front of a pizzeria both in broad day light. i would bet most of them end up in containers and get shipped to other countries.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I will keep my eyes open. :'(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. There are few feelings worse than having something stolen or vandalized.

Hopefully you had good insurance coverage, at least to help you financially. To be completely honest, its likely that the bike is gone for good. Keep your eyes open, and report it stolen to your local authorities that way the VIN will come up as a stolen bike if anyone tries to register it.

Like I said...your chances of finding it are slim to none. I'm just trying to be realistic here...I don't want to kick you while you're down.

Sorry.

-Dan

·
Registered
541 Posts
Comes down to PA we've got ya covered. Everyone one I know is on the lookout.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the kind and honest words. I know it's a long shot to find even a nut off the bike but I had to give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I didn't get full coverage on the bike so I'm pretty much a$$ed out- both financially and emotionally. I got a killer deal when I purchased it from a co-worker and full coverage would have been about 40% of what I paid for it. It was a gamble and this time, it looks like I lost.

Let my experience be a lesson for everyone else; specially Duc owners that don't have garages. Be aware of the stares you get when riding around your 'hood and check if you're being followed. Also, be mindful that your area is never as safe as you think it is.

-Ted

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
ducdown said:
It appeared to be a pro job since another bike parked next to mine was jacked as well. They most likely had a truck/van and just lifted them right up.
ducdown said:
I have a good feeling that the perpetrators are nearby (a.k.a. neighbors) but I don't know how to stake out or prove anything solid.
You think it was a pro job pulled off by your neighbors? Most experienced thieves don't piss in their own backyard, but then again, they get by by breaking rules... What is it about your neighbors that makes you suspect them?

Checking ebay and CL isn't a bad idea, but in this day and age they leave too much of a digital trail too be effective at liquidating stolen vehicles. More likely the hot bike will be moved through shady channels or.... parted out <shudder>....

hopefully your thief is stupid and will slip up - it happens all to often.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey factor:

I don't think the theft was literally done by my neighbors but perhaps they told a friend that was the thief. The reason why I suspect that is because I am noticing more and more younger people moving in and have their friends around. I am 30 myself and I do hang out but I just got this feeling I was being watched when parking my bike or when getting ready to ride (hard to not notice that duc rumble when warming up).

I've been monitoring all of the internet sites I can think of and will be calling my local bike dealers to see if the thief(ves) are dumb enough, like you said, to slip up and sell parts locally.

-Ted

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
That sucks.

My brother lives in NJ, and has had 2 cars stolen in the last 3 months, and they were beaters. Now he is using an early 90's taurus beater, hoping it will last at least a couple years in the NJ/NY train stations.

I guess that is the price you pay for living on the coast.

mitt

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
im in weehawken, i hear you about the ins cost but bro you have to have it!!.. dont worry things happen for a reason.. you will have a better bike soon [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Something for your next Duc .... when I interned in Delaware, I had to park my bike next to the dumpster also. I made sure no one could just "lift " it by chaining the frame on the fence pole which surrounded the dumpster (Did the same when I lived in Jersey City).

Luckily, no one was ever able to steal the bike (think the chain was a good deterance).

I always try to chain the frame (and not just the wheel) on to something immovable.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Condolences on your loss - Another reason why the legal system in our country should implement caning as punishment instead of processing paperwork.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts