Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Others have certainly chopped their stock signals, but I couldn't find any threads on it, so here's how I did it:

I wanted to keep the size of the stock signals for visibility, but those long stems bothered me. Decided to remove the flexible stem, which popped right out after disconnecting the wires. Then to mount them, I cut away the inside of the stem (which holds the bolt, the rubber alignment pin, and the wire guide) and then glued it all to the inside of the signal. I trimmed it bit by bit until it fit snugly inside the signal.

I think it turned out pretty good--they are much more ergonomic this way. See the attached pics with the first side done. I've just ordered the Clear Alternatives with chrome plated bulbs to finish the job. I'll post a few more pics when this is complete if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
hey, that works [thumbsup]

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to finish the process tonight. I'll take detailed photos and post them after I finish.

I should have my clear alternatives in a few days. A friend has them on his bike, and you can see the red bulb behind them a bit. So, you might want to order the chrome bulbs if you want to completely eliminate the reddish tone.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's some pics of the process. Remove the stalk, cut it down to the width of the bolt in the middle, then trim away the outsides until the whole thing "fits" inside the signal housing. Glue the whole works together and reinstall.

One thing I really like about this mod is the signals still flow from the beer tray pretty nicely. I've seen some cool aftermarket signals that don't line up with the tray ends too well. I personally like the beer tray with highmounts, and now it looks a bit sleeker.

I'll post another pic when I get the clear alternatives and chrome bulbs.

Attachments

G

·
The lazy man's method is to buy a pair of used rear signals off ebay and stick 'em up front. They're quite a bit shorter and bolt right on.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The back signals are shorter, but they still have some stalk. I trimmed off a good 1 1/2 inches from the back, too. Now mine are basically just the housing bolted right on to the bike.

·
Registered
704 Posts
bullet boy said:
The lazy man's method is to buy a pair of used rear signals off ebay and stick 'em up front. They're quite a bit shorter and bolt right on.
<-------------- thats what i did, but not from flea bay [thumbsup]

·
Registered
289 Posts
bullet boy said:
That's also what I did. I have the front fairing so I can't go too short, the rear signals were just perfect enough, but not too long.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.