Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally took my `09 M696 for its maiden voyage today. I agree with what everyone said about the reving in traffic/starting off so I'll be looking into a 14t sprocket. Loved the bike very different from my 1997 EX500.

I loved it but one thing extremely bothered me. I couldn't see Sh*t out of either mirror no matter how I adjusted the mirror or the mirror arm. I pushed them all the way forward, pulled them all the way back, adjusted the glass up and down and both sides and all I was able to see was the ground about 5-10inches and I NEVER saw anything behind me or of any use.

Is there anyway to fix this maybe risers/lifts to bring the whole mirror arm itself up? On my EX500 I could see everything between my shoulder and the ground behind me to both white lines on each side of the entire road for as far as the eye could see in my riding lane in my right mirror and the opposite lane in my left mirror. I depend on them to see behind me for various reasons so not having them is not an option for me...anyone have any suggestions, ideas or ways to fix this?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
That has always been a problem with the mirrors on the Monsters. Most people ditch the OEM mirrors with aftermarket altenatives. There are a set of Rizoma adapters on Monstersparts, but I don't know if they will work with the OEM mirrors or are only for Rizoma Mirrors. Would you prefer barend or bar mounted mirrors?

I've tried several options of barend mirrors. Four counting the ones I am currently running and am very happy with. I've tried the Thirdeye bicycle barend mirrors which are very inexpensive and quite sturdy even though they are plastic with glass mirror. You can find them on ebay or at your local bicycle shop for around $20~$25. I've tried a CRG Knockoff which were of middle quality billet. They had a convex glass which made everything look tiny and I felt they stuck out too far. The next set I had was a set of Napolean Style Mirrors which were of decent stamped aluminum and flat glass mirror. They were very sturdy and presented a great view of what was behind me, I just wasn't too into the way they looked on my bike. I am currently running Motrax Mini Reversibles which look just like the Rizoma Reverse Retros. I am very pleased with their quality, look, and the price. A pair of the Motrax mirrors cost just a little more than half what a single Rizoma mirror costs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I seemed to get my stock ones working ok - the glass pivots all directions - however the vibration made it difficult to see - daytime running lights on vehicles behind me are a great asset! I put on Rizome Ellisse Mirros - very $$$ but the quality is immpecable - the visone is gret and vibration is much less.

Whatever you do - if you remove or change - don't forget RHS is reverse thread on the top bolt!! Why I have no idea!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same issue. I plan on going with Rizoma reverse retro's, but I just put on Jese handlebar risers and it solved the problem. I actually started a thread when I first got the bike asking the exact question as you. I felt that the stalk was about 2" too short to clear my shoulders. After the risers, the mirrors are now higher and I have perfect vision out of them. I may not change the mirrors after all and instead spend that money on something else.

Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone I'm trying to find an option that works and I don't want to buy new mirrors as I like these stock ones. I'm hoping to find a solution. H2O I pm'd you about the risers you talked about.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed for now!!!

;D I went out to the dealer on the bike today and told them I couldn't see anything at all with the mirrors. One of the salesguys that I bought my bike from is almost the same height as me I'm 5'2'' and hes about 5'4'' so he was like let me take a look. Sure enough he gets on and messes around and says "WOW wtf is wrong with the mirrors"...so we mess with them more and still nothing he can't even get them to show anything but the direct ground beneath the bike. He sits and thinks and say I think I got it and disappears into the back room and comes out with an alan wrench and loosens up the bracket that holds the mirros/levers/etc and rotates them backwards moving the mirrors upwards and levers downwards. He tightens them back up to the correct marked position and gets back on moves them around and uses the wrench 3 more times but finally gets the mirrors up and working so both of us can see everything behind me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He finally says at the end "IDK WTF the factory did when putting on your mirrors but they totally f*ed up." SO as of right now I can see and hoping to keep it this way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
glad you got it fixed (and for free too!)
I bet the mirrors are installed at the dealer when the bike is uncrated, not at the factory....
Totally agree with you MH...I saw mine getting assembled, but, masters came attached to a 18" bar...on the top triple....everything else was on the bike....

Gilly, you could also get a set of these, http://www.flyncycle.com/Mirror_Extender_p/mru-mnt-extender-p.htm
Like I'm doing to install the M696 mirros I'll be installing on my M620

·
Registered
15 Posts
That has always been a problem with the mirrors on the Monsters. Most people ditch the OEM mirrors with aftermarket altenatives. There are a set of Rizoma adapters on Monstersparts, but I don't know if they will work with the OEM mirrors or are only for Rizoma Mirrors. Would you prefer barend or bar mounted mirrors?

I've tried several options of barend mirrors. Four counting the ones I am currently running and am very happy with. I've tried the Thirdeye bicycle barend mirrors which are very inexpensive and quite sturdy even though they are plastic with glass mirror. You can find them on ebay or at your local bicycle shop for around $20~$25. I've tried a CRG Knockoff which were of middle quality billet. They had a convex glass which made everything look tiny and I felt they stuck out too far. The next set I had was a set of Napolean Style Mirrors which were of decent stamped aluminum and flat glass mirror. They were very sturdy and presented a great view of what was behind me, I just wasn't too into the way they looked on my bike. I am currently running Motrax Mini Reversibles which look just like the Rizoma Reverse Retros. I am very pleased with their quality, look, and the price. A pair of the Motrax mirrors cost just a little more than half what a single Rizoma mirror costs.
Where did you buy the mototrax mirrors at? I love how they (and the Rizomas) look, but the Rizoma's price has kept me from getting them. Do the MOtotrax mirrors vibrate much?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
The Motrax Mini Reversibles are exactly like the Rizomas just withouth the Rizoma name on them. No Motrax name stamped on them either, which I prefer - I actually remove most advertisement/labels on items I purchase or look for them to not have the markings if possible. I believe Rizoma is an Italian company and Motrax is a British company. They are very solid and I am very pleased with them.

http://www.motrax.eu/item3568.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info, drkmojo. I really like how those look. I think I will get a pair. I took my stock mirrors off, and have been riding around mirror-less for awhile, due to not being able to swing the cost of a set of Rizoma's, and not wanting to get a cheap pair that wouldn't work anyways.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I put fish eyes in my stock mirrors... i commute a lot (in traffic) with the bike so having the added visibility was key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered two of the black Motrax mirrors like you have, Drkmojo. They cost me about $110 total, including shipping to the US, for both. A pair of Rizoma mirrors of the same style would have costed about $240, prior to shipping. Did you have to buy any special bar ends or anything to put them on?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I ordered two of the black Motrax mirrors like you have, Drkmojo. They cost me about $110 total, including shipping to the US, for both. A pair of Rizoma mirrors of the same style would have costed about $240, prior to shipping. Did you have to buy any special bar ends or anything to put them on?
PM sent earlier. Check your personal messages.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
That's odd I know I sent one. Must not have gone through. Let's see if I don't forget something.

The Motrax, Rizoma, and M-Label mirror sets that all look like that come with three different sized plastic rings that can be used between the mirror's mounting bracket and the mounting point if needed as shims. The mirrors can be mounted on the handlebar ends or on barend weights. Probably better to use barend weights like the ones used in the Motrax and Rizoma ad pics where there's a groove for mounting barend weights, especially if you don't have space to move the controls in. Motrax doesn't carry them. Rizoma and CRG does but I think they are too pricey for what they are. You can get copies of similar ones on ebay. I think even the ones with the carbon fiber looking band will work if the band comes off. I myself went with the Motovation barend weights with sliders. They are a bit pricey but I really liked the look of them (they looked a lot like my frame and axle sliders) and they also serve a good safety/protection function.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread couldn't have happened at a better time. I've been thinking of getting a set of barend mirrors to replace the stock ones on my s4, but couldn't get my head around the price for a good quality set.

I did get to ride an s2 with the third eye bicycle mirrors, and was pretty impressed with everything but the looks. Even at (somewhat) legal speeds they still had pretty good visibility.

Anyway, my s4 got knocked over on 3-9, and broke the left mirror. Hence the perfect timing of this thread.

Drkmojo, how is your rearward visibility with the mirrors mounted inwards like that? I was looking at the Rizoma's as well, but the same mirror for half the price with no branding is something that I really like.

And thanks for serving our country. Hope you enjoy the ride next time your home, and God Bless ALL Our Troops.

chris

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Requiem, Found these on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/BIKEIT-CARBON-F...mQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3ef450884c) They're about $20, just don't know if the CF peice can slide off.

Chris, I'm really happy with the mirrors' visibility and stability. They are also extremely versatile when it comes to positioning. You can rotate them to mount under or flip them to the outside. Just like the Napolean Style barend mirrors, I've seen them mounted in multiple various positions. Find what best suits you.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've also been looking at mirrors. Similar to the Rizoma's, I found Napoleon mirrors. Since the stock 695 is not very aggressive stance, I don't like the CRG bar ends. I rather have something that is a little higher than the bar ends and does not obstruct regular views. I'm going to search around for the napoleons locally to see how high they are before buying them. Talking about these: http://www.motostrano.com/nabarendmi.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts