Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion on the sound and performance of the stock exhaust?

I don't think it's bad that it needs to be changed immediately or unbearable, but I guess I haven't heard it compared with anything side by side with termis or something.

What do you think? A new set of slip on termis may run me about how much? How will it sound different than it now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have an 1100 and I am in no rush to change exhaust. Most aftermarket pipes are going to give you just a few HP for a relatively high cost. Don't forget, to get the max out of any free flowing exhaust a new intake and some re-fueling will be necessary. My other two bikes are piped up and sound great, but can get loud every once in a while. With the stock Duc exhaust I still have a good sound and can fly under the radar, so to speak. Also, my bike is Silver so the stock cans are a good match aesthetically, IMHO. If the goal is simply to go faster many people under-appreciate brakes, suspension set-up, and gearing and try just to get more power. Most out there can't ride to the potential of the Monster anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You will be amazed at the sound of a new exhaust setup over the stock... Do not rely on soundclips off the internet, you really have to hear it for yourself. It transforms the bike into a whole new beast..

I originally had the quat-d oval pipes.... I liked the look, they were carbon fiber and had DB killers that could be removed.... But, I didnt like them cluttering the rear end so I went with ryanracers (H-Competition) under seat exhaust.... Its an amazing addition to the bike, completely transforms it... Sounds amazing and looks good... and is loud! Also performs phenomenally.

I went with a two brothers juice-box to help with the fueling issue... Made the bike run much smoother and now everything seems to be working in harmony... its running great.

However, there are many many many other mods to do that can really help the bike. I made a custom oil cooler($100 vs $500) for my 696... There should be a write-up for a do-it-yourself on this forum, if not I can get it for you.

A new sprocket always helps too with performance...

There are lots of things, but exhaust will show you the biggest difference in looks, sound and performance IMO

·
Registered
44 Posts
I changed mine for the reason of reduced heat. It's bad enough sitting on a bike in traffic when it's 115F outside. Roasting my legs was killing me. The benefits and the look was secondary but well worth it to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm happy you mention this. I have been wondering if changing the exhaust will help with heat. I have a carbon fiber SC Project exhaust on the way (if it ever arrives!). I'm hoping it will help a little with the heat. Which exhaust did you install?
I changed mine for the reason of reduced heat. It's bad enough sitting on a bike in traffic when it's 115F outside. Roasting my legs was killing me. The benefits and the look was secondary but well worth it to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with Mivv and jet coated all the pipes inside and out. It wasn't a huge reduction but when sitting on a stove top while inside a broiler everything helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ha. Very true. My temp gauge has been getting up to 5 bars in city traffic, so I can relate to that. Feels like a blow torch is under my legs. I was thinking of ceramic coating my header pipes as I heard that helps with heat also. Is jet coating the same thing as ceramic coating?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts