Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has modified the stock clutch cover to open it up. I have access to a mill and was thinking about giving it a quick swiss-cheese-ing. Are the stock covers aluminum? And are they cast or formed? Any one bead blasted them? Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I tried to machine mine and pulled it up the end mill. A replacement stock piece is $230 from Ducati.

It is a TWO layer piece that if I would guess is stamped.

I have seen guys use an end mill to get small (less than .5") holes in it but they look like my grandmothers doilie (?SP) to me. I went w/ .5" and .75" end mills. I have two more holes to go when it went south. It looked really cool though. The holes on the top were the hardest to get right w/o deflection. If I were to do it again, I would just have machined the slanted surface and called it good.

If you drill and tap holes to mount the cover to something, it still has potential to pull up and seperate the two layers and get material in between messing up the look you are going for. I have a Cycle Cat piece now and couldn't be happier.

I also used a bead blaster and it worked fine. Cleaned it up really nicely.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought a stock clutch cover from Retro, and it was a stamped 2 layer steel cover. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to line up and mark the holes, I ended up making up a grid on the face of the cover and drilling 4, 1 1/4"
holes. I extended the grid from the top over the sides, and drilled 8 (i think) 1 1/4" holes around the edge. I used a hole saw and a drill to cut the holes, and on the top of the cover it seperated a little from pushing too hard on the drill, so when I was finished drilling all the holes, I squirted a little JB Weld into the split and clamped it for a couple of hours. It turned out really good, I ended up using black automotive paint to finish it, the only thing that I wish that I'd done differently would be to sand it a little better, you can see where the edges of the original paint were left, I may repaint it later if I'm so inclined, but I think that it looks damn fine. Sorry this post is so long you can PM me if you have any specific questions.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just seriously thinking about venting a stock cover last weekend when I met a friend of a friend of a friend who works with a computer operated router table to make aluminum parts. We were going to try to make a sprocket cover but I also thought I might try to do something to a clutch cover when I do that. The double wall issue doesn't sound like it would help. So I guess I need to find an aluminum one. Worse thing that can happen is I make a mess and end up buying a Cycle Cat one any way ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the cover, took off the black rubber seal, left the spacers on and bolted back in. This leaves a 3-4mm opening between cover and cranckcase.
Five minutes work I have all the clutch clang of the aired covers and cost nothing.
Just an idea.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the cover, took off the black rubber seal, left the spacers on and bolted back in. This leaves a 3-4mm opening between cover and crankcase.
Five minutes work I have all the clutch clang of the aired covers and cost nothing.
Just an idea.
S4OZ,

That is a very good idea. Better still, instead of spending nothing, you could have spent $22 US (plus shipping) for a kit from TPO that claims would take twice as long to install as the way you figured out--yet does exactly the same thing.

Next time, go TPO!

http://www.tpoparts.com/products/clutchspacer.html

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Dang, Shilly, you just bent the needle on the sarcasm meter! ;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
S4OZ,

That is a very good idea. Better still, instead of spending nothing, you could have spent $22 US (plus shipping) for a kit from TPO that claims would take twice as long to install as the way you figured out--yet does exactly the same thing.

Next time, go TPO!

http://www.tpoparts.com/products/clutchspacer.html
LOL, you had me rollin'!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang, shilly me, I should have thought earlier about spending my A$ pesetas to support the US$ lira!
8)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Pre 99' year bikes had the aluminum ones and could easily be modified. The new double walled with rubber are steel, these were used to cut down on the noise levels. I may have an old aluminum one if you want it, I will check my junk.
I've owned 96 and 97 M900 Monsters, plus a 1998 ST2, and all had the stamped sheetmetal clutch covers.

I've never seen a stock aluminum clutch cover on any Ducati. I would like to see one, though.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Are you sure Scott? - I've got a '97, a 95', a '96, & I work on a '94, all came with aluminum covers.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Are you sure Scott? - I've got a '97, a 95', a '96, & I work on a '94, all came with aluminum covers.
Okay, time to get the magnet out. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. :-[

1 - 14 of 14 Posts