Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 M900 has stock cans and I just can't afford to upgrade them this year...so a suggestion came my way that I would like some input on. A motorcycle mechanic that I trust suggested to improve sound from the stock cans I could drill four holes in the round end plates that the exhaust pipe tips come through. In the 9 o clock 12 o clock 3 o clock and 6 o clock positions. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Here is a link I looked at http://www.ducatipipemod.com/service/monster

I cored my pipes on my 750 Monster and the sound was definately worth it. At the time I also added a jet kit and air filter, so I'm not sure just how much better it made it run.
Anyways, I cut the ends of the pipes off in the band saw and removed the outer cans, then used a plasma cutter to cut the spot welds on each baffle, except one, I left the lower most baffle in so I wouldn't go deaf. But I'm thinking of removing that one too just for the heck of it because sometime in the near future I plan to get some high pipes. The baffle (end plate) on the end of the pipe was easy to get out, it only took a couple of licks with a hammer and punch to remove it.
After I removed all the junk inside 'em I slid the cans back on the pipes as far as I could then used a MIG welder to weld the end cap back on. It sounds like alot of work, but it didnt take me long, of course I had access to all the equipment at work. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Strati can do it for you at the link that redneck_monster gave you. He can also give you detailed instructions so you can do it yourself. He's a nice guy and knows his stuff.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I drilled out a set of stock pipes with six 1/4" holes and I did not like the sound. It only made them a tiny bit louder, but you could hear the sound of air blowing through, which was not good.

I then took a different set and cut off three inches from the end, removing the tubes in the final section and it sounded good to me. Not as loud as the straight through carbon pipes I had had on the bike earlier, but they let the Ducati sound out. I really liked the sound and wish I could figure out how to make my ST2 cans sound like that.

Don't both drilling the ends.

S

·
0 Posts
scott,
if you want to experiment with your ST cans, drop me a line ([email protected]) and i'll offer up some info on how i do the "1/2" mod on 'em. sounds like it might be the ticket for you.

jason,
did you already email me? i got a similar question in my inbox. i'll try to get back to you today.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've already cut out some of the tubes in the middle section. Looks like I might have to open up the rear section and cut some more.

I don't want to shorten them at all, so I don't really want to cut more than a little door in the side to remove internals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts