Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I did the paperclip on that little harness on the left side of the bike trick......no dice. No clicks, nada.

Horn sounds pretty good, dash lights look pretty damn bright, bright enough to where I would think I'd head a click'click if the bat' wasn't strong enough to crank the bike...

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
There are three holes in the connector and only two wires going into it from the main wiring harness. You shorted the two with wires right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SupaFly_2_EB said:
There are three holes in the connector and only two wires going into it from the main wiring harness. You shorted the two with wires right?
yeah, jammed the clip in those 2 tiny holes......I felt little "clicks" so I'm pretty sure I shoved it up in there all the way.

grrrr......I've never had a battery that was dead enough to cause NO starting noises yet strong enough to have a full-bright dash.....possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
fleedatzmonster said:
yeah, jammed the clip in those 2 tiny holes......I felt little "clicks" so I'm pretty sure I shoved it up in there all the way.

grrrr......I've never had a battery that was dead enough to cause NO starting noises yet strong enough to have a full-bright dash.....possible?
I don't know. The current req. for starting vs. powering a light bulb are verrryyy different.

All the fuses good?

Anybody know if you can jumpstart a bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
Try jumping the starter solenoid. Grab an old standard screwdirver and jump the two terminals and see what happens. Dont ground it out on the frame :eek:

Also check the two pin connector at the solenoid to make sure its fully seated.

You can also go directly to the starter terminal with a jumper from the + side of the battery and the starter should run.

If all else fails,move closer to me so I can look at it. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
ducman851 said:
Try jumping the starter solenoid. Grab an old standard screwdirver and jump the two terminals and see what happens. Dont ground it out on the frame :eek:

Also check the two pin connector at the solenoid to make sure its fully seated.

You can also go directly to the starter terminal with a jumper from the + side of the battery and the starter should run.

If all else fails,move closer to me so I can look at it. ;D
The old remote starter trick from my Barracuda days... ahhh the memories

He would have to have tools to have old tools. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
SupaFly_2_EB said:
The old remote starter trick from my Barracuda days... ahhh the memories

He would have to have tools to have old tools. ;D
How about a butter knife and an old washcloth [cheeky]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
<butts in>
i used to keep an old hammer in my 72 Datsun 510 just for the occasional starter-jump.

note: when you have to lift the hood of your ride to start your car....that date is not ending the way you hoped [laugh]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so I hooked up our little jump starter box they have up here at work, it registers zero amps....clearly bad. I can perhaps leave it on there for a few hours to see what's up.

Yes all the fuses work.

That starter relay jumping trick sounds like I might need supervision ;-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
Try the jumper box to ground and directly to the starter.

I will be coming up tomorrow, any chance you can push start it? Ill bring some tools to diagnose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ducman851 said:
Try the jumper box to ground and directly to the starter.

I will be coming up tomorrow, any chance you can push start it? Ill bring some tools to diagnose
I have no tools up here at work, I can bring some in...damnit this sucks I was excited abotu the paperclip solution.

It hasn't started in a while, push starting it may take a while..DOH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
You can jumpstart a bike. I've done it a few times. ;D

Pushstarting is good exercise! Especially if you don't know how to do it properly. [cheeky]

How long has the bike sat? Mine really doesn't like starting if it's sat more than a week without being run.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
erkishhorde said:
You can jumpstart a bike. I've done it a few times. ;D

Pushstarting is good exercise! Especially if you don't know how to do it properly. [cheeky]

How long has the bike sat? Mine really doesn't like starting if it's sat more than a week without being run.
don't try to do it in 1st gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,800 Posts
gm2 said:
yeah.. 2nd usually works best.
... and even better if you have an assistant to push as well.

Just don't boot 'em in the head when you jump on.
Drop the clutch just as you hit the seat.
Careful to not crunch your bollocks on the tank, too.

Wear your helmet....I've seen folks loop it when the motor catches.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,490 Posts
Speeddog said:
... and even better if you have an assistant to push as well.

Just don't boot 'em in the head when you jump on.
Drop the clutch just as you hit the seat.
Careful to not crunch your bollocks on the tank, too.

Wear your helmet....I've seen folks loop it when the motor catches.
...you sure have some funny friends... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
Ill still bring some stuff to diagnose, just incase. [thumbsup]
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top