Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Im going to put some stickies on the Duc now that have another bike to commute on.
I am thinking the Dunlop 208GPs just cause I have been runnin the regular 208s and like the turn in on them. They seem to be one of the more expensive though so I checked out the michelin pilot race and metzler rennsport race and they dont look to bad either and are about $50 less for a set. The pirrelli diablo corsas look O.K. too.
The tires I have not seen yet are the bridgestone 001s they are a race tire but cost $100-$150 less per set than most all the others. Anybody have any comments on the best race type tire?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have tried em all, Pirelli are the way to go.

H

·
0 Posts
I have a couple sets of Pilot Race, soft front, medium rear. Petty sticky buns, if I do say so myself.

H

·
0 Posts
You can actually get decent wear out of the mixed compound combo. The soft rear doesn't last too long...

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
So there are different types of the Pilot race??? why would you want anything other than just soft?
When its wet!

Check out the new Pilot Power, sticky (when warm) plus reasonable milage.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Race tires are for race tracks, not street riding. You'll never get a race tire up to temp on public roads, no matter how fast you think you are. D208GP would be wasted on the street.

RW mag wrote favorably about Michelin Pilot Power in newest magazine... thrashed a set on all the new open bikes and left the track looking ready for more.

I got a set on Pongo and got pretty stupid with them on Palomar Mountain and they stuck well. Supposed to be cheap, too. Damn, sounds like a home run. Especially since Michelin isn't in habit of making out of round tires like dunlop... :p

;D Chris

·
Registered
668 Posts
1st there was Michelin Pilot Sport.
As a beginner (on a Monster) they felt ok, controllable slippage. So as I say, slippage. After 7000kms the rear was changed to Pirelli GTS MTR24 cause of a long summer trip.
In Finland I changed also the front to the matching Pirelli MTR23. The front took about 13kkms.
In 20000kms the rear MTR24 was out, and hard and slippery. The front was so to say slippery that a 2 wheel slides in Toscany twisties was a everyday fun, and caused stress and tiring for a rider (=myself).

Now I have Pirelli Diablo Corsa rear and front.
The twisties have a new meaning, and the trust factor is back.This is why I wrote that please get some sticky tires if You like twisties, and a do them with speed, and sometimes go to the track.
As long as there is friction, there is hope.

Skier

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, wet handling is not a concern cause I dont ride this bike unless the weather is good.
Chris has a valid point about race tires and street riding. If its not feesable to get a set of race tires up to temp while riding good roads then I probably wont get um. I just want the stickiest tires I can run with quick turn in. I searched for the Pilot Power but could only find the sport and race?? I am leaning towards the Diablo Corsas now instead of the Supercorsas.
The 208s I run now work well until max lean angle when the rear seems to lose grip very abrubtly. The front works great though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm interested in this conversation, too. I need to replace my 208s. I got about 4k miles on the rear and it's toast. I don't require the stickiest tires in the world, but I'd like the highest level of "real-world" performance I can get. I don't ride when it's wet. I don't particularly care for the turn-in on the 208s.

Tire brands I'd like to try: Pirelli and Michelin.
dion

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Pirelli Diablo's are great. I'm pushed the bike about as hard as I thought it would go in a few turns, and they never slip. Highly recommended...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Cool. To be more specific, I'm trying to decide between Pirelli Diablos and Michelin Pilot Sports.
d

R

·
0 Posts
I agree with Chris...really don't need race, or DOT approved race tires, as they are still race tires with treads basically.....if you like Dunlops stick with the ZR's.
Very basically depending on the track, conditions, the race, how you race, etc. different compounds are available for race tires, the idea being making it to the end of the race before the tires let go.
I've read that for Daytona Dunlop uses mixed compounds, softer on right side, and harder on left side, since there are so many left turns.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with Chris...really don't need race, or DOT approved race tires, as they are still race tires with treads basically.....if you like Dunlops stick with the ZR's.
Very basically depending on the track, conditions, the race, how you race, etc. different compounds are available for race tires, the idea being making it to the end of the race before the tires let go.
I've read that for Daytona Dunlop uses mixed compounds, softer on right side, and harder on left side, since there are so many left turns.
Now that makes sense, I can see how you would want a tire that was a little harder for a race that was a bit longer or tighter.
One thing I like about the 208s is that I feel almost NO stand up when trail braking into turns. Im worried that with a tire like the Diablos, that appear to have a flatter front profile, I will get that brake stand up. Any comments?

R

·
0 Posts
I don't have enough FHE or understanding of all that is involved with stand up....I haven't noticed it on my Bridgestones that I am running now. I have read reviews on the Sportec M1's and Michelin Pilot Sports that also remarked how on well they performed trail braking and not standing up....

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
One comment on the 208s. A friend of mine put 208s on his Triumph Daytona about a month ago and he HATES them. I know the Monster's aren't nearly as powerful as a Daytona, but he is constantly spinning his tires. I've watched him try to do a wheelie and the tires just spin if they're not warm, it doesn't even begin to lift. Anyway, he's already thinking of switching back the Battleax tires he had before.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Heh, I've ridden with the guy for a while, I can attest to the fact that he more than knows what he's doing. I've seen it happen, when the tires are cold, even just slightly aggressive acceleration spins out the rear tire. Kinda scary...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
After many talks with my mentors and racing friends and mechanics.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I replaced my OEM Pirelli Dragon Evos with Diablos, and they worked really well. No standing up on the brakes that I noticed, and I do sometimes brake pretty deep. Rear lasted 3700, front's probably going to last about 5500, maybe 6000.

Replaced the rear Diablo with a Michelin Pilot Sport, and that feels good too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts