Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have more or less had issues getting my keys in teh ingnition. Is there any lube recomended for this? I twisted on key so it does not work anymore. I tied straightening it, but it just does not work anymore. Before I mess up another key, I need to do something about this lock.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would think WD40 is a harmless and effective lube/freeing agent to try. I have used it in locks before in order to displace water (in cars that have given me problems).

That is what I would do, but someone may have reason to disagree. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Again, I have misunderstood the point of the thread. I thought there would be some discussion about Herb's computer keyboard... baby wipes, man, baby wipes.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey! I heard that! ;D

What gives, Dennis? Why not let the dealer warranty it? I don't know of others that have had that problem. Your bike is too new to have a problem such as this.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
graphite powder? or would there be a problem with
electrical conductivity? if there are open connections
down below somewhere, i guess it could work its way
in and cause a short?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
First, I hope it is one of the black keys and not the RED key that is messed up ? If it is the red, stopping using it, if a (black) key is at all bent it will cause the key to be difficult to turn. This is doubtfully a "warranty issue".. if it looks bent it is.. you can try putting in the seat lock and ever so slightly try twisting it the correct direction to straighten it back. But first check the other two keys (1 red, 1 black) and if they are difficult to turn than you need to take it to your dealer because either you do indeed have a bad ign. lock or someone has been messing with your bike !!

·
Registered
735 Posts
After sitting all winter my ignition is was also very difficult to operate the first couple of times. The Key wouldn't turn or it would get stuck in the off or on position. My guess is something (S100??) got in there and boogered things up a little bit. Now after riding several times and getting the ket in and out w/o forcing things, it is back to normal use. The bent key is trashed. Use the remaining goon one and be gentle trying to move it wround. Get the bike going and take it to the dealer.

I was also wondering what would be an acceptable ignition lube?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've used two products on locks over the years, car locks, bike locks, padlocks. It don't matter.

I usually use Silicone lubricant spray. I have also used graphite spray. Don't worry about conductivity. The lock barrel is separate from the electrical connections which are sealed against the environment.

I often find that I have to lube up locks in the winter. NBD

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mine's an older bike (1995) but i regularly have problems with the key. I retired the bent original key & use the new key i had cut. I put WD40 down the hole regularly, but often find myself jiggling to get in & out of lock ??? ???

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Funny to be reading this, cause just lately , a few times my key wouldn't turn, I just thought I didn't have it in right!!

I had trouble in the winter time when it rained with water getting in there and freezing, FBF suggested spraying with WD40.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I just can't understand why so many people think that WD-40 is a lubricant. It's not. It's a solvent. A degreaser. And it absorbs water.

The last property could be useful if you've accumulated water in your lock barrel, but Silicone is hygroscopic too.

I maintain that Silicone spray is the best stuff to use.

I've got WD-40 in my garage too; don't get me wrong. I just don't reach for it when I want a lubricant.

I've noticed over the years that there's a sliding cover on automotive style lock cylinders that sometimes tends to stick open. When this happens, you can accumulate more crap in the lock. One key to keeping things working is making sure that the lock is lubricated sufficiently that this cover closes every time you remove the key.

If your lock is all gummed up, WD-40 may be good to clean the crap out. A solvent is good for busting up any oil/grease that's holding dirt. But after letting it dry a while, follow up with a proper lube product.

I guess what I'm saying (ranting) is that WD-40 may open things up leading you to believe that it's a long-term solution, but it's not. The long-term solution is effective lubrication.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I just can't understand why so many people think that WD-40 is a lubricant. It's not. It's a solvent. A degreaser. And it absorbs water.
That was my purpose for the WD40 , to absorb the water in there and keep it from freezing.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
So Silicone spray is the best to use too keep it lubricated? It is a hygroscopic and a lubricant?

Hygroscopic, meaning absorbs moisture??

·
Registered
668 Posts
mine is stuck now and then, normally some time after rain or wet conditions.

Lube helps. I put it on a key and then insert, to not spray too much directly. And save the world at the same time....

I did sprayed directly on a seat lock, where then I inserted the key to lube it up.

The bike needs some lubes also outside.

21500kms and no problem

Skier

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WD40 worked great. I gave it one shot toiight before leaving to work. Slide right in. That is the first time since I got the bike I can say that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts