Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see if you folks have had similar problems. I'm finding it difficult to shift from first gear to neutral (or, frankly, and other gear) when I'm at red lights. It comes and goes, but sometimes I literally can't get it out of first gear. It is not a problem once I get moving -- only when I'm stopped. Anybody know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Check thats the joints at each end of the gear shift are lubricated and free, it could also be not adjusted properly?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
On my 1997 M900, I could always go from first to neutral when stopped and the engine running with no problem whatsoever. In 19,600 miles, it always shifted easily to neutral. But, that particular transmission also had "neutrals" between all of the other gears, especially 4-5.

When I got my 1998 ST2, it was absolutely impossible to shift from first to neutral while stopped with the engine running. I had three choices: shift to neutral before coming to a stop (easy if I remember before stopping), kill the engine and shift to neutral, then start it back up (done that a few times), or just hold the clutch in until the light turns green (difficult for me, recovering from a broken left hand).

I recently had the bike serviced and it was discovered that a previous owner had installed the clutch slave improperly so that it was not able to fully disengage. That was fixed and I can now get it into neutral while stopped with the engine running, but it might still take a few tries. It's not as easy as the Mosnter was.

I'm certain that the problem is related to a clutch that doesn't disengage 100%, but it is unclear what to do to the clutch to fix that particular issue. I would recommend getting in the habit of shifting to neutral about five feet before you stop. That's what I try to do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My gf had this problem on her M750 after she installed adjustable levers. The screw had to adjusted (tightened) so the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is squeezed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies everyone. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts