Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What steering Dampers are people here using? And does any one use a Carbon transvers steering damper(as described in DP)? What did you pay for a transvers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ohlins (SD154, fully adjustable and re-buildable) side mounted on the frame. 6 clicks from soft for road riding, 12-14 for track days.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm awaiting a reply from Scotts Performance to see if they offer one for the 03 with clip-ons. Not on their site. [ftp]www.scottsonline.com[/ftp] Not the cheapest part around, but neither is a Ducati.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
There was talk about the SCOTTS a while back, do a search on here and you should be able to find the thread. If I remember they do NOT offer it for bikes with clip'ons. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to get one to work if you could get some custom machine work done. I'd LOVE to have a Scotts, then install is CLEAN.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't use one on my S4. With the suspension properly set-up for my weight and riding style the bike is very stable yet flicks into turns real nice....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hopefully we won't start the 'Steering Damper Jihad' again...

I don't have one, but if I did it would be a Scotts or a 'top mount' like the S4 Foggy. IMO, all of the side mount telescopic ones are fugly at best.

With your tubular bars, I think you're (unfortunately) hosed on the top mount.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've got the Extreme Tech Ti Damper from Motowheels.
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=123|Ducati Suspension&productID=2533&showDetail=1&categoryID=126|Ducati Monster Suspensions&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|Italian Motorcycle Parts

I'm told that it's the same damper as sold by Arrow, Matris, and maybe DP. It's transverse mount, but under the head tube. Seems to work well, with adjustabillity that you actually notice. It definitely looks good and was easy to mount.

I think the Ohlins side mount looks fine, but the above the clamp transverse mount looks like somebody just threw a bunch of parts together to make it work. Definitely not a clean install.

I bounced some e-mails with Scott and he said that response to the current damper kit for Monsters wasn't that good, so he wasn't going to spend any time doing multiple kits. Personally, I think that's because people who are going to spend money on a high dollar damper tend to be the same type of people who do switch over to clip-ons. Maybe Cycle Cat should look into it. ;)

--Fillmore

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the Extreme Tech Ti Damper from Motowheels.
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=123|Ducati Suspension&productID=2533&showDetail=1&categoryID=126|Ducati Monster Suspensions&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|Italian Motorcycle Parts

I'm told that it's the same damper as sold by Arrow, Matris, and maybe DP. It's transverse mount, but under the head tube. Seems to work well, with adjustabillity that you actually notice. It definitely looks good and was easy to mount.

I think the Ohlins side mount looks fine, but the above the clamp transverse mount looks like somebody just threw a bunch of parts together to make it work. Definitely not a clean install.

I bounced some e-mails with Scott and he said that response to the current damper kit for Monsters wasn't that good, so he wasn't going to spend any time doing multiple kits. Personally, I think that's because people who are going to spend money on a high dollar damper tend to be the same type of people who do switch over to clip-ons. Maybe Cycle Cat should look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The description says all Monsters except the S4. I think that's because the radiator on the 4v Monsters is in the way, not because there's a significant difference in the frame where it mounts.

Basically, it has one clamp that goes around a frame tube and then into that bracket on the damper body. The position of that bracket can be adjusted, so I don't think small differences in frame dimensions between the newer and older frames would matter that much. The second clamp goes around the fork tube and connects to that heim-type joint on the end of the rod. Since the newer and older bikes have the same size fork tubes, you should be good there. (I actually use mine on a set of SBK forks and just shimmed the clamp with some leftover shim material from my Cycle Cat conversion kit.)

--Fillmore

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, I didn't want to hang 500 bucks off the side of the frame, where it would be undoubtedly destroyed in the even of a lowside, even with the sliders in place!
Hey Filmore, what's the best price you found on that kit?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Motowheels for the Ti kit. They're actually the only place that I've seen the Extreme Tech version. If you're getting the DML discount, you're about $75 - $100 lower than the Arrow version.

Two Bros sells the Matris damper for about $20 more. BTW, they list a damper specifically for the `02 -`03 2v Monsters, But their version seems to be an above the clamp mount.
http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=009-3D1071

--Fillmore

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Race Day, what have you determined to be the best application for the S4R? I haven't started looking yet... too many other mod projects I guess, but it's fairly high on my list.

Anyone else?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now the only real available option for the S4R is the DP transvers mount. I like the kit, but not the $709 price tag. I will wait until spring for other options to come out. I know my dealer will give me a better deal then $709. But as a race photographer, I am going to start getting poor as the weather gets cold. So big mods will have to wait until my season starts again. For now it will be a Strati pipe mod and a few $100 here and there cosmetic billet parts until riding season returns to the great white northeast.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm chompin big time for a pipe for this thing too. Can you supply any links (or whatever) for thr "Strati" pipe mod you mentioned? All I've seen so far is Arrow and SilMoto. Termignoni is slipon only as far as I know ...from the 2004 Catalog.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm rather new to my M750 and so far haven't felt the need for a damper. Is it a need that will sneak-up on me and bite me in the a** or does the bike really have to be thrown and pushed hard for the need to arise? I know some bikes are tank-slappers from the word go and demand dampers to ensure clean briefs. I haven't found this to be the case thus far but maybe I haven't put her through her full paces yet. Should I split with the 4-5 bills to be sure, to be sure? Is it a case that I'm better off doing it than not?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If someone has the ultimate cheapest solution for a damper, top mount, non-DP for an S4, I would very much appreciate it. It doesn't take much to slide the front , have it grab, and set up a sphincter spasming oscillation that results in personal pain. :eek:

Thanks in advance!

Rideon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could you describe in more detail the symptoms and corresponding conditions in which you feel a damper might assist you? I'm cuious to compare these with my experiences. Thanks, Ted

1 - 20 of 29 Posts