Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a steering damper, since I have felt some wobble at high speeds and was wondering what was the consensus on them? and which ones work best? do they ever need to be replaced?

I've seen the Ohlins and they make great products but I hate where its suppose to be mounted. What are the alternatives?

TIA,
Bill
Monsta900

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I went through this search too. I am tall, would like a steering damper, but do not want a rod shooting into my knee every time I make a left hander.

Topmounts won't work with clipons, so the only mounting area left is under the forks.

AFAIK, matris, arrow, and DP make them under the fork, but the DP piece is $650ish :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Extreme Tech. Under the head tube transverse mount. Available at Motowheels. Arrow is similar.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
184 Posts
From what ive heard from some friends Frame mounted dampers are better since the stroke in the mechanism is longer than those mounted on the bar. Anyone agree?

Plus the frame mounted dampers add to the character of the nakedness of the bike my 2 Cents

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard good things about these, but I hear that they don't work if you have clip-ons. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
go with the ohlins. it did look a little funny at first, but
now i kinda like it .... and who's gonna be dumb enough
to say anything bad about it?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm interested in purchasing a steering damper, since I have felt some wobble at high speeds and was wondering what was the consensus on them?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran across this awhile ago on another board, I know Bing has seen this. I realized I had not really thought too much about how dampers actually work, or what the difference's might be. In one way I see the Scott as working how I would prefer it too since I would mostly be concerned with
hydraulic lock ability anyways.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I was also somewhat surprised by the relative short intervals for servicing a damper.

What is the service interval on a damper? Which of the discussed dampers are "serviceable"
-Ohlins
-Scotts
-Matris
-Arrow
-DP
-Extreme Tech
-Biturbo

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohlins recommends replace oil on Scotts after first ten hours and then every 20 hours.
Road and Track damper..every 6500 miles street use or 20 hours track use.
Haven't checked other tube style dampers, would assume similiar
to Ohlins road and track.

I guess Ohlins believes their rotary damper is for off road so, so it would be the same service hours as a road and track used for racing.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks retro!!

Any ideas on what it costs to service a damper? Do you have to mail it back to the manuf. to do it?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No idea on cost. The road and tracks are vacuum sealed, and I have heard Ohlins wants the dampers assembled with a $6,000.00 machine no one has bought yet, so they must be shipped to Ohlins....??
But I really don't have any FHE.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
If you're interested in the low-cost solution, Stuart at Spareshack may have some of his NHK dampers left, with the Monster specific mounting kit:

(this isn't mine, it's the pic Stuart sent me)

May not fit all Monsters...check with Stuart. I got one recently and it works great. Then, when it wears out, you just replace it with a standard NHK which you can get for $70:

http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_steering_damper.htm

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Matris under triple damper on sale at Two Brothers for $255. I just got mine and love it. Very high quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts