Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all -

W/ the news about Scott Nelson's tankslapper (get well soon, Scott!), thought that I'd mention that after seeing a couple of those tankslapper vids I decided to install one (errrr. . . have one installed, I should say). About 6K or 7K miles ago I got the Toby steering damper for around $300 (tho I think you can get it cheaper), which came highly recommended by BCM.

Here's the thing - in passing conversation this weekend, someone told me that steering dampers should be replaced every 1000 miles due to wearing out the parts. I can see why the parts would get worn due to being stressed, but every 1K miles?!?! Makes for an expensive preventive measure if that is true. . . can anyone verify this? I believe that Ohlins are rebuildable, so would not warrant total replacement anyway, but would imagine it would still be costly to maintain. Would be interested to hear folks' opinions on this one.

S

·
0 Posts
1k miles is rediculous. unless you hook your bike's forks upto a paint-shaker every night, that sucker should last for several thousand miles before requiring a rebuild, and that rebuild will most likely only involve changing the oil.
same concept for forks... the oil should be changed every so often, but not necessarily _that_ often. unlike the oil in your engine, damper oil doesn't go through the EXTREME heat cycles your engine oil does.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Marty and I bought 2 dampers this weekend, by two different companies. They are not cheap will set you back about 5 coins. But, if you have a bike that can have a tendency to twitch it is nice. The Buell was in more need than the monster. I just wanted another interesting item on my bike ;)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I don't know about the wear but I do know that a steering damper will only help prevent tank slappers, but is not 100% bullet proof. I've had the cheap one that Stuart sells for the last 7000 miles and I haven't experienced tank slappers since I got it. But then, people still crash from tank slappers even with quality steering dampers on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never heard of a steering dampner needing to be rebuilt every thousand miles. I would definately buy a rebuildable steering dampner. I had a Toby on my Suzuki (yeah I once raced Jap bikes sue me) it was rebuildable. I would ask Bruce at BCM if yours is rebuildable. That guy is a god with ducatis. I get all my parts/Mods here in Spain through them. Real friendly people. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts