Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a steering damper, especially because of an upcoming track day. Any input as to whether this would be a worthwhile mod?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've experienced tank slapper oscillations on a dirt bike, so I'm familiar with circumstances when a steering damper can help.

I've listened to all of the arguments as to why a Monster needs a steering damper and I'm still not convinced. I've had several occasions recently while accelerating out of a bumpy corner, when the front tire got light and the steering temporarily went off at the wrong angle. My bike always settles right back down as soon as the tire gets back solidly on the ground. I think I've had one or two occasions of landing wheelies a little crooked as well. The bike regains stability quickly with its current steering geometry.

Now if you have lighter wheels or have changed the steering geometry to make it quicker, or maybe with the addition of clipons, you might want to consider adding a steering damper. I don't see the need on a standard Monster, though.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The worst I've gotten is four or five oscillations of the bars when the front end pushed about six inches and then caught while in a corner. I did have a steering damper on at the time and I think it helped keep the situation from getting hairy.

That said, I have clip-ons, rearsets, and a bunch of other things that change the riding position and weight distribution from stock.

If Scott says that his experience shows that the stock bike doesn't need one, I'd tend to go along with that. However, once you start playing with suspension, steering geometry, and weight distribution (particulary if you are really experimenting), I think the worst a steering damper can do is be a safety device. Maybe that one time that you think that if 30mm showing is good, 35mm or 40mm might be better and you end up crossing that line, the damper might be the thing that keeps your shorts clean.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
You should just call or e-mail Scott. I talked to him about mounting options a year or so ago, but didn't really follow up. He had good ideas and was willing to talk about it.

Basically, you could run it just like that and just leave the bar off.

You can lower it some, but it'll still have to be mounted high enough so that the armature will clear the stem bolt (although, you can get a lower profile stem bolt. For that, you'd have to either build your own bracket to hold the damper, or mill down the lower portion of your bar clamps and use the Scotts bracket, or come up with some spacer to use under the Scotts bracket. Scott mentioned that if the demand was there, he'd consider making a 1-piece bracket for people with clip-ons, but that I was the first person who'd asked about it.

If you lowered it, you also wouldn't be able to use the Scotts ignition cover which acts as the 'frame bracket'. If you weren't really worried about having an ignition cover, you could just weld a post to the metal switch bracket under the cover. If you're worried about cosmetics, you could either come up with your own cover/bracket, or possibly weld the post on and then
put on a cover with a hole in it for the post to come through.

Scotts dampers rock, I share two between my three dirt bikes. With my Cycle Cat upper triple it just got to the point where it was no longer an option.

Hey, there's an idea... Maybe you could hit Alex O. up to build a custom upper triple with the damper bracket built in...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anyone running a Scotts on an '02 750? All the kits I've seen only go up to '01.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i'm getting the dp put on tomorrow. it mounts on the triple clamp not the frame.
i'll post pics tis weekend.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i just put the dp performance one on, it rocks.
the bike is more stable through all the gears.
i'm glad i did it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Where did you all get the dp steering damper and how much did you pay?? I was quoted almost $700!

M

·
0 Posts
I have a LP damper that costs $250 and works great. You can get a Damper off Ebay which is the same ones from SpareShack for $100. Just make sure you have more than 2 settings on it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Here is a pic of my Lockhart Phillips damper with 6 settings for $240.00 and it seems to work great and a hell of a lot cheaper than the DP damper!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The DP damper for the S4 mounts on the triple clamp.Like the foggy.
It comes with all the mounting brackets.
It looks alot better than the ones that attach to the frame
(my opinion).All of them will work it's just a matter of choice in which one you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts