Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gedday guys....

Has anyone fitted up a steering damper??

Arrow, Ohlins or hyperpro??

Just wondering about cost fitment and supply...

Cheers
Ita

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bryceow said:
Whats the advantage of having a damper ?
It's just for ride days...

Exiting Siberia at Phillip Island and hard on the gas up the hill, I'm getting some head shakes over the ripples just before turn 7. Nothing serious, but I'd like to settle it down. I think the damper would help...

Cheers mate

Ita

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got an Ohlins side mount. I think it was around $800. Not really sure though, I was buying a few things for the bike at the time and the money all became a bit of a blur as it left my bank.

There is some debate over top-mount versus side-mount steering dampers. Top-mounts need to be better quality since the damping is acting on much smaller and stronger movements. The side-mounts are damping larger movements, which is easier on the seals.

On the other hand, top-mounts are much neater, although the side mount Ohlins does the bike an aggressive look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Bryce,

It was around the $400 mark can't remember the exact price but I got it casoli motors in Sydney

·
Registered
476 Posts
I went for the Ohlins side damper and on day to day city and short rides it does not make much difference - however, I went on the tourism from Noosa to Port Maquarie over 4 days on some pretty rough roads and I was really glad I had it - It helped me fly through corners as though I was on rails! I had it cranked up pretty high - 12 on a max of 16 clicks.

I have looked into the Arrow as well and would probably have gone that way if I could have purchased one at the right price - Casoli sell them for about $550 I think. The Ohlins was a special deal out of the states and has been a really good addition.

But it really only comes into its own on hard rides or on bumpy corners on some of the tracks we like to ride - ie the Old Road or the Putty in Sydney.

My 0.02$ worth, R_usty.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys....

I like the look of both set ups!! (Ohlins and Arrow)

Rusty.... Would your frame sliders protect the damper if the bike went down on it's side??? If I keep my bike, it will become a track day bitch and I want to make it crash damage resistant.

I was just looking at frame sliders (Cyclecat) in the 06/07 Spareshack catalogue (that appeared in the post today). Does 97 quid (about AUD$240) sound a bit steep???

Cheers guys

Ita

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul.C said:
Ita,
spareshack is RETAIL shopping,
look online and ship them in yourself [thumbsup]
Gotcha...

Will have a look around!!

Ita

G

·
ita,

both ca-cycleworks and motowheels have em for USD $150 ish.

check the freight for each, but with the USD to AUD at about .78 or so that works out under $200 AUD + freight, I would try buy em out of the states.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are expensive little suckers aren't they!!!

I'll shop around....

Thanks guys

Ita

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Ita said:
Rusty.... Would your frame sliders protect the damper if the bike went down on it's side??? If I keep my bike, it will become a track day bitch and I want to make it crash damage resistant.
From experience, yes. The cyclecat sliders took the hit. My damper was untouched.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spidey said:
From experience, yes. The cyclecat sliders took the hit. My damper was untouched.
Gedday mate....

Well the Cyclecat jobbies sound tough enough!!!!

I guess that's my next question!! If I find some cheaper "no name" variety, will they just snap off and be useless?? Do you only get what you pay for??

Ita

·
Registered
37 Posts
G'day Ita

I went with a side mounted dampner ... Not the expensive Ohlins or Arrow brands but a Shindy dampner .. It has 8 settings or adjustment but was $180 aus . at my door ... It works great ...

Just another alternative , esp. if your worried about dropping your bike onto it .... Willie

·
Registered
89 Posts
FYI: Angelo at Zagame's took delivery of a side mount Ohlin's Steering dampener last week. He asked me if I'd ordered it. But, probably not, as I wanted one for above or below the triple clamps.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G said:
FYI: Angelo at Zagame's took delivery of a side mount Ohlin's Steering dampener last week. He asked me if I'd ordered it. But, probably not, as I wanted one for above or below the triple clamps.
I'm ony 5 minutes from Melbourne Ducati. I'll poke my nose in and see if there's a bargin to be had!!! [thumbsup]

Ita

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hope it's a win-win situation. :)
Btw they should have a 1098 on the floor after their customer preview on Friday night. It was a big one with at least 150 in attendance.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ita said:
Gedday mate....

Well the Cyclecat jobbies sound tough enough!!!!

I guess that's my next question!! If I find some cheaper "no name" variety, will they just snap off and be useless?? Do you only get what you pay for??

Ita
It depends on the quality of workmanship. The speedymotos and cyclecats are both billet nylon, and use a replacement engine stud to mount, which seems to be the only effective way to mount 'em. I'd go with the decent ones...they're still cheap compared to a tank repair or replacement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts