Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an S4 monster with handlebar risers installed..And was wondering what you guys think would be the best frame mounted steering damper to put on bike..Cannot run a tripletree mounted one since risers put bolts up to high even though I think they look better..With the new corse kit installed the bike keeps the front wheel skipping across the ground under hard acceration and the handlebars like to move around alot..I'm afraid she may try to go into a headshake now...Thanks for your help VTM

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohlins SD 154. It's adjustable, and rebuildable, as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just installed the new Ohlins frame damper on my 800. The model is billed to serve on the S4 also. It feels like it will do the job, but it looks way funky for my taste. Old school and all that... Some frame mounted ones, I think they are called Street and Performance or some such thing, mount parallel to the bottom line of the frame, making them look less conspicuous. Unfortunately, that is not the right angle, as the damper should really work along the plane perpendicular to the steering axis. That is why the Ohlins looks the way it does. I think the kit is not as expensive as some other installations.

What I really miss is not being able to use a Scotts Steering Stabilizer. I use one on my Yamaha WR and I love it.

Be prepared. The installation requires dropping the left fork tube, so you need a way to lift the front. You will also need a 28mm socket. I knew I was in trouble when the SnapOn salesman said "What?" I ended up buying a 1 1/8" socket which worked fine.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need to drop the forks, just pop the top clamp. Much easier, and you don't have to think about getting the tubes back in their exact location.

I have the SD 154 on my bike, and it does look a bit funky, but it fits the whole Monster theme.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohlins, I think I would stay away from Scotts on a street bike.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys..That is the one I was looking at..And its good to know it works before I put out 400 or so on a damper...Thx VTM

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i've got the ohlins on the S4R .... looks kinda funky, yeah,
but who's gonna say anything bad about ohlins?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ducati changed something in the tank/key holder/triple clamp dimensions on the '03s. The Scotts do not fit anymore and they do not have plans to modify their mounting jig to fit. Emailed and talked to them. Pleaded actually. No dice. The pictures you find in the Scotts website are for up to 02 only. Same with the Nichols Ducati logo bar clamp. Fits until 02, not 03. Bummer.

It has got to be a b*tch to be an aftermarket supplier.

I like the high and low speed circuits on the Scotts. I can't tell you how many times it has helped me over the gnarliest exposed roots and ruts on the trail, and helped me keep in control when hitting rocks. Some of the spring potholes I see in the Beltway around Washington scare me as much, and I'm seeing them in a cage!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I've got a Scotts on my 2000 900ie monster and it works a treat. It's not the most discreet damper but it's a lot handier than having one hanging out in the breeze on the side of your bike or catching all the muck underneath your triple clamps. Pity you can't use one.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've got the ohlins on the S4R .... looks kinda funky, yeah,
but who's gonna say anything bad about ohlins?
Cool,
Do you have any pictures? What did it cost?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Battle, why can't you use the Scotts?
and Retro why do you recommend against the Scotts? I've only heard great things about them and there are many street applications.
My understanding, is that dampers for street bikes should two things, stop oscillations before they start, and hydraulic lock to stop violent swings. The skinny I got is that rotary dampers have air in them, so their ability to damp in both directions is thought to be rendered ineffective, thereby reducing their ability to prevent oscillations before they start. Not really an issue on dirt bikes, I believe what the Scotts are known for. Since Ohlins are bled of air and use foam for expansion, I would tend to believe their ability to function on both damping, and locking, are a better way to go......if you go to the Ohlins site you will note that their Rotary damper is listed only as MX or Enduro.
http://www.ohlins.com/mc_product_guide.shtml

1 - 13 of 13 Posts