Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into the mountains yesterday, and had one very scarry moment when the front wheel rappidly moved from side to side as I accelerated out of a corner into a tunnel. I'd noticed the front wheel doing a milder version of that earlier on. It never did that before changing to my new CF exhausts. More power. Less weight. So I'm getting a steering damper, but am afraid it will make commuting through city traffic much harder. Will it? Will it make it heavier to steer at low speeds? And which one should I get for my M1000?

·
Registered
37 Posts
get one you can adjust and set it up very sof in town, you won't even feel it.

H

·
0 Posts
The only problem with an adjustable damper, is you need to have it properly set for the conditions. If you lessen it's effect for around town, and forget to re-adjust it for the canyon, what's the point in having it?

I have an Ohlins damper with 16 adjustment increments. I started off very low, about #6, and over the course of several rides, I've increased to #13. Yes, it is very heavy to whip the bars back and forth, but I've gotten used to it to the point that I don't know it's there, and I never have to remember halfway around a tight bumpy turn, that I forgot to re-adjust it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
some info here.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=parts;action=display;num=1082472015

i have the same exact bike with 21400kms on it.
Once or twice I felt a shakyshake but the moment was ment to have it (from the curve accellerating like a maniac with some bumps on the road before the front lightens up due to massive power I got....) .

It might prevent sheitty stuff from happening, but as Herb said about the Steer Damp adjusting , it is important to check the pressure from tires also as often to avoid them rotational alarms.

Skier

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hyperpro claims that theirs is more non-linear than
most, so that rider inputs are virtually undamped. only
the harmonic oscillations (which occur at a rate much
faster than normal rider input) are significantly damped.
i have one on the 851. its well made, but i couldn't speak
to the claims about damping rates. it did quell the
head shake, so i guess its working.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You want a steering damper to damp the very fast movements, which they all should do, even at the lightest setting. You shouldn't even notice you have one when riding on city streets.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a damper (Ohlins SD154) on an M1000. I've had the damping set at "medium" and it was never an issue in city traffic.

My feeling is that the new pipes aren't the source of your problem. If the problem is reoccurring, get some pros to check out your bike. I read your recent post about your front brake rotors being replaced twice. Could it be a warped hub? In this case a damper may only lessen the shaking but it won't cure the problem from the root level.

I did canyon rides without a damper for a while, and I felt a little insecure with the way the front was behaving in the corners. But I've never experienced what you explained. Recently I've improved my riding skills and the damping is now set at minimum. I'm thinking of eventually removing the damper altogether.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You won't notice the damper on city traffic and as mentioned earlier even on the lightest setting the damper may not alleviate "minor" headshakes but it will/should keep those minor shakes from turning into major oscillations ie tank slappers.

You mentioned having this problem before...also while accelerating out of a corner?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The instability I was feeling in the front was due to my inexperience with canyon riding. Currently I have the daping set to minimum and I'm doing just fine. So why even have the damper on? The only reason I may keep the damper is to protect myself from a potential tankslapper.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The only reason I may keep the damper is to protect myself from a potential tankslapper.
That should be reason enough right there. A tank slapper can happen without warning on a Monster just by hitting a bump at the wrong time. You would really hate yourself if you took the damper off and then experienced a tank slapper first-hand.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Yeah, that's why I asked--I don't see any benefit to removing it. The weight is negligible and so is the effect on maneuverability. I thought maybe you wanted to sell it to another lister ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where do I take my bike to check for a bend hub?

And if the hub is not bend, is there a damper for the Monster (M1000 '03) that I can mount on top, like on the 999s?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts