Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
njineermike said:
How come it's an either/or on the armor issue, not an AND issue? I want my leather jacket AND my armor.
Sounds like a great idea!! Foam armor under the impact plastic inside my leather jacket!! That's what's in the shoulders of my chest protector, but it's the best I can do right now. It should be at the elbows and forearms.
Thanks for the Frank Thomas info. I tried on a Frank Thomas jacket last month at Cycle Gear, maybe it's time to ride up there again (Allentown, Pennsylvania Store).

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
The Icon is already foam under plastic. Trouble is, when I pull my jacket over it, I'm almost immobile. I can barely strap my helmet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
njineermike - that's why we want it already designed into the leathers! That way, there's room for the armor and there's still room for movement. let me know if you find anything that works.

I looked into the Joe Rocket Jeans that have steel fibers in the lining, and they're only offered in Men's, not women's sizes. Oh well!!

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I actually prefer it seperate. I can secure the armor better, and if the leather gives way, it doesn't take the armor with it.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
It's restrictive because the suits don't allow for the extra bulk. A suit cut with a larger forearm area and larger knee and lower leg area would do the trick. The CE armor pockets with the armor (pads) out are still not enough area. I like the faxct that the seperated armor is going where I'm going, and won't shift when the suit drags. My jacket rolled up on me last go-down, and I'd rather have the armor stay in place and let the suit move. Besides, the CE armor might as well be a bed pillow strapped to your backside for all the good it seems to do, so I'm not the biggest fan of it being there in the first place.

·
Registered
859 Posts
lauramonster,

I have the Cortech Magnum leather jacket. It came with shoulder, elbow, and back armor. The shoulders are also padded. I removed the shoulder armor; I have wide shoulders and it made me look like a football player. (I know....bad reason to remove armor)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/49/913/ITEM/Tour-Master-Womens-Cortech-Magnum-Leather-Jacket.aspx

I like it alot. There are lots of vents and it has a toasty liner. Fits snug around waist and hips, and doesn't ride up at all.

Can't give you much advice on pants. Still trying to find a pair that fit REAL women.

Ride safe
Lindsay

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Great topic!

Having & wearing the right gear can't be stressed enough. I dropped my bike about 2 1/2 months ago after hitting some gravel while going through a corner on a narrow canyon road at a fairly low speed. I didn't see the gravel until it was too late due to the alternating bright sunlight & dark shade on the road in this heavily wooded canyon. The reason I know this is that my riding buddy took some photos of the crash sight that he showed me later.

The bike only suffered minor cosmetic damage; broken beer tray, turn signal, bar end mirror, & some slight scratches to one of the slip ons. I wound up with 5 broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung, & some small scrapes on my knees. After a week in the hospital, I spent the next 7 weeks recuperating. George Clooney got off easy with 1 cracked rib ;)

My injuries were as bad as they were because of my age, I'm 53; and also because I was wearing some outdated gear. I was wearing a Vanson leather jacket that I've had since the late 70's. Of course it didn't have any armor... nothing really did back then. What was state of the art in 1978 is just vintage today. The jacket held up really well considering the impact of the crash. My old Bates gauntlet gloves didn't fare much better since they also didn't have any armor.

I was also wearing an HJC helmet & some Alpinestars boots. The helmet is trashed, but I'm replacing it with an RF1000. The boots held up just fine. Everything else that I wear when I ride is being replaced with the best gear that I can afford.

I guess the moral of this lengthy post is to make sure that you get the best gear you can & make sure you wear it EVERY time you ride. Believe me its worth it. Oh, & pay attention to everything around you. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
The helmet getting destroyed is just fine. That's it's job. I got hit by a car wearing and HJC and hit pavement face first and slid. I'm fine, helmet is toast, just as it should be. Glad you got back up and around. NOT fun to get hurt, but yes, proper gear makes all the difference in the world. My first go down since I resumed riding after several years, I wore a leather jacket and gloves, ended up with torn ligaments in my foot, a crush-bruised hip, and a sprained shoulder (Mostly from impact angle. Not much you can do about that). Second time, I'm armored like Robocop, nothing but a sprained shoulder from the same fall type. Hyper-extension of the arm above my head. Had I NOT been wearing knee armor, my leg would have been shredded, but the armor took the scrape, same for my elbow when my leather jacket wore through. ATGATT up! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ladies,....BMW makes a great Protector Jacket that can be worn under any leather or if you must ... textile jacket. I wear mine under an armored Icon leather Daytona jacket that I buy 2 sizes larger than I usually would so it will fit over the BMW Protector Jacket which has a sturdy mesh chassis with forearm, elbow, upper arm , shoulder , collar bone, , kidney and chest C2 protection zips up the front and has a double thickness waist velcro belt . C2 is a European measurement that is better than CE protection. I wear this mainly in cooler weather. In warmer weather I wear a BMW C2 Back Protector . Besides protecting the back it has kidney and collar bone protection with a wide waist velcro belt and a 2 piece narrow elastic male/female attachment across the upper chest area. This I can wear under my normal size Dainese armored learther jackets with no problem and have my shoulder/elbow armor and abrasion resistant aspect that the leather jacket provides and have the extra protection of a 1st class Back Protector with no noticable interferience from the back protector. Check out Dainese.com and call the D Store and talk to Michael and he'll set you up with the best women's leather and for Icon check out sandhillspowersports.com and call and talk to TC for great deals on Icon. Both of their phone numbers are probably in the GEAR section of the Board under Good Gear Deals. Good Luck. DE

·
Registered
326 Posts
there is something to be said for entering the sport without any experience or ideas:

I had a set budget so I figured I'd go crazy on the best gear I could and then buy a bike with the rest; I'm happy I've made that decision...

Kushitani Takuma jacket & SPL-3 pants, Dianese hellracer gloves, Shoei x 11 helmet, Sidi Vertigo boots...and I'm looking at Forcefield Tpro armor for the jacket too.

I think it's the only way to spend freely and care about the performance instead of the monetary constraints.

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
AndyK said:
In the early 80's I buried a Yamaha XS1100 in hwy 67 in Saucier Ms. It was Feb. and I was wearing boots, jeans, full face and military A1 jacket. Notice anything missing?

Walked away with my hands dripping. Spent weeks walking around not being able to tie my own shoes.
This thread reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing battlescars in Jaws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is my first post on this forum, which is GREAT, by the way. This is the best forum I've come across period. I love it.[thumbsup] i just bought a one piece leather suit with full armor, including back protector. I can wear a men's size 40 suit and it fits like a glove. it is really tough out there for women that have to get women's gear... so i count my lucky stars. Anyway, before reading any of these posts I had made up my mind that I will NEVER ride without full gear. I really thought I was going overboard and being way too neurotic about it, but now I know that my decision is smart thanks to this thread. The stories here made me cringe. I feel really bad for everyone that has gotten hurt, and can easily put myself in their place because that's what we face as riders. Like my dad said, I do the two most dangerous sports out there - bikes -n- horses.
I WAS riding in jeans, ankle high Icon boots, and an A* jacket with shoulder and elbow armor - no back protector (helmet and gloves, of course). I felt really exposed with my legs in jeans AND the fact that my jacket could ride up if (and probably when) I lay it down. With my suit, and my orange reflective vest that goes over it, i feel so much more comfortable. I broke my back riding horses (here goes the Jaws thing again - I've got some pretty good scars for being a "girl"), so the back protector is a must - both physically and psychologically. And lets face it. It takes less than three minutes to suit up. It takes me at least ten to get my horse ready, and I do that without even thinking about it. Besides, even with the baggy butt on my suit when I'm standing, I feel like a goddess in my gear. I swear, I think I'm going to go put it all on and stare at myself in the mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Welcome in Jen. My jacket rode up last time I slid. I ended up turning so I was sliding backwards, jacket rode up, got a pretty nasty rasberry on my side from it. I was wearing jeans, but I was also wearing compression shorts with plastic I had sewn onto the hip sides and butt I cut from a milk jug, (Yeah, not exactly the best gear, but it saved my a$$. Literally.) and a set of Dianese Knee V's so my legs stayed good even though my jeans almost disintegrated. Full suit is NOT overkill when you hit pavement. I was also wearin Icon Field Armor elbow and forearm pads, which was good because the arms of my leather jacket (1.4mm cowhide, not some thin fashion jacket) wore through and I got deep scrapes on my armor. asphalt dermabrasion aint fun. [laugh]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Before when I was on my Nighthawk I never thought twice about what i wore out riding. It seemed fine to go out in shorts, and sneakers. Now looking at it I see that is a horrible decision, the DML i think has a lot to do with myself becoming more conscious in what i go out in. As weird as that sounds it's a good influence [laugh] It seems the more cruiser types don't really wear gear as much (IMO) I suppose I was the same way. Now to end this DML inspiration of safety post...What do you guys wear for just small rides to get from point a to b. Not like going out for a ride for pleasure but short hops (couple of miles to places in town)?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Minimum:

Proper full face helmet
Jacket with full armor
Sport touring boots
Gloves
Draggin' Jeans

I do believe it is up to the individual, though.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
howie said:
Minimum:

Proper full face helmet
Jacket with full armor
Sport touring boots
Gloves
Draggin' Jeans

I do believe it is up to the individual, though.
Same here but my gloves are full gaunlets... :)

oops! Hit modify instead of quote :p

81 - 100 of 113 Posts